Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy Morse code day

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Happy Morse code day

HAPPY MORSE DAY.png

Today is the anniversary of the birth of Samuel Morse.27th April 1791.

I have already had two sessions, with Australia... one in Perth, and one in Melbourne.. these two guys used to send telegrams across Australia,  using the Australian Post & Telegraph landline system, that was part of the original World Wide Web... Now we can use the modern version.

Here is a "cheeky madam".... that knows her stuff... !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DQyLMkSk5I

Here is a pic of myself, "on watch"  on H.M.S. Centaur in the mid 1960`s

Gerry  on watch  HMS Centaur REPAIRED VERSION  SEPIA.jpg

At times, we had to receive Morse Broadcast Messages that sounded like this.....

http://www.rnmuseumradarandcommunications2006.org.uk/CommsColLeft/Malta%20Suez/suez.htm

Skip the text. and click on the bottom part    30 words per minute  for hours on end... ! ! .

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Happy Morse code day

You must be dotty with those dashes! Wink

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

So, is it not raining in Perth, and Melbourne ?  (one for the oldies)

Seriously, Morse must have been a major contributor to the ending of both World Wars.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Indeed, we'd have been well down the poop pan if those Germans had got their hands on it or even worse, if an American hadn't invented it in the first place Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@Minivanman   Very Jolly ! ! !...   I have two German morse keys in my collection...both in working order and used about every two weeks or so.... one was used by the German Luftwaffe Ground troops, and the other did see action on both sides in two world wars, having been made on 11 August 1914,... just a couple of months before the first world war started.  During the 2nd world war, it was "liberated" by the French resistance, and used to send messages back to London, as part of the resistance communication circuit.