Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hands free phones in cars

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

Re: Hands free phones in cars

@RobPN wrote:

It might be a bit late into the party for banning hands-free phones now that hands-free cars are appearing!  Funny

Well hands free cars seem to be more dangerous than the phones, maybe stick with phones till cars are sorted ( if ever ).

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 85

It was interesting to see the BBC giving an example yesterday of how dangerous a hands free phone conversation is by interviewing a chap who's relative was tragically killed by a driver who was texting at the time!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

How did we ever manage before mobile phoned were introduced.

Why is it essential to use a mobile phone whilst driving ?

Some poor ******** even take their mobile phones to bed with them.

Community Veteran

@Baldrick1 wrote:

It was interesting to see the BBC giving an example yesterday of how dangerous a hands free phone conversation is by interviewing a chap who's relative was tragically killed by a driver who was texting at the time!

Texting is illegal and you can't text whilst using hands free.

Travius
Hooked

You are totally right! If you as a driver sure that you can drive and do something else, you should not forget there there are plenty of drivers on the road and can't be sure of them, you never know what to expect from them.

One I have a ride with a taxi driver who was chatting not only at the red light stop but during all the road. And when I made a comment about it, he got angry and drove very fast. I was glad that got to my destination safely

Luzern
Champion
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

@Marksfish 

That was the puzzle, how the heck are the police going to know if somebody is talking on the phone.

The driver could just as well be chatting to a passenger, arguing with some radio show they are listening to.... or praying for rain in Spain!

Crazy eh. Crazy2 

@Minivanman  Seemples! The dones'll be fitted with a special version of ground penetrating radar. And for use beyond the call of duty it will be cheaper than a helicopter.Funny 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

@artmo wrote:

You can text hands free, well using an iPhone and Siri you can. But I'd say it's more dangerous, as you'd want to proof read what was composed, just in case, so you'd have to take your eyes off the road to do this.

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

@gleneagles wrote:

How did we ever manage before mobile phoned were introduced.

Why is it essential to use a mobile phone whilst driving ?

Some poor ******** even take their mobile phones to bed with them.

We managed fine before mobile phones because people were a lot more discriminating about their calls.

It is not essential to use a phone while driving, but you know as well as I do that if people can do something they will.

there is a real illness called mobile phone addiction, it happens when people have to constantly check social media

etc. and cannot bear to think they may be missing something, can also be called information overload.

I worked with a young bloke who had two mates killed ( and they killed an innocent woman and her young son in another car ) - while he was driving he was talking to his mother on the phone and the mom heard a loud noise, ( that was the car smash where they went onto other side of road and  hit another car head on, the one carrying the woman and son ) - the mom also heard sirens as the emergency services turned up --- so in that case a mom on the phone to her son heard him get killed.  I have no sympathy at all when mobile phone callers kill themselves with their stupidity, but when they involve others its a different matter altogether.  I have followed many cars weaving across the road, years ago you would have thought driver was drunk but now you assume someone on the phone.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Anyone caught using a mobile or found guilty of dangerous driving should be made to work in a busy A&E department for a month in addition to any fine, points on licence or Jail time.

No need to see the casualities but simply witness the distress of relatives when being told, ' Sorry there was nothing we could do'

Community Veteran

An interesting article in today's Daily Mail that answers many of the questions about using a hands-free mobile whilst driving.

Hands-free Answers

PowerLee
Rising Star

@artmo wrote:

I can send & receive texts hands free using the voice activation / commands in my Peugeot 308 via my connected Android phone.

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

It is about time deaths and injuries  caused by vehicles were given the same penalty as manslaughter, never mind points on the licence and driving bans - someone has suffered life changing injuries or died.  If the accident was caused by the driver making a phone call or fiddling with a phone then that is pretty much like murder to me.... life sentence with no parole before 30 years,  that would focus drivers attention where it should be, on the road ahead.