cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hands free phones in cars

wotsup
Champion

Re: Hands free phones in cars

Many studies have bed done over many years in controlled conditions, one of the main ones is that people are shown video clips and then asked questions about the content, when people not using phone ( hands free or not makes no difference ) they normally score high marks, when engaged in conversation on the phone their score plummets. Talking to a passenger is not as involving as engaging in a phone call, as the passenger is sharing the same environment as the drive they normally stop talking when driver is obviously concentrating , which does not happen in a phone call.  The other thing is how many phone calls are initiated by the driver and are they necessary ? The level of phone calls I hear from drivers are either social calls that could wait or involved technical calls that are obviously taking up way too much of the drives brain function.  

Other studies with video camera in cars while phone calls are taking place show a much higher incidence of tailgating other vehicles and higher number of missed turns and cutting out on road islands.  Humans have a wonderful brain but only a small part of it is available for quick response, and an awful lot of that is already taken up controlling over a ton of vehicle travelling at high speed or through difficult traffic... too many other distracting things in cars now that touch screens being fitted to control car functions and you actually have to look at the screen while operating it, which means your eyes are not on the road ahead.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

That's the thing about driving, there are lots of things which can distract you.

Say you're driving with a baby (my niece is now 5 so a bit old for that) and they get distratced/upset in their baby chair.

Banning hands free mobiles is not going to fix that I am afraid.

Community Veteran

Just another example of the PC brigade trying to control everything we do.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

PC brigade, really? :huh:

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@artmo wrote:

Would you still agree if a family member was seriously hurt, or worse, by a driver fiddling with his/her phone ?

wotsup
Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

PC brigade, really? :huh:

I don't know what PC has to do with stopping selfish drivers making unnecessary phone calls either....safety campaigners just trying to stop people being killed by distracted drivers that's all,  I just wonder why it has taken do long to change the law....( or at least discuss a change in the law ).

My niece bless her will not use phone while she is driving, and that is after years of being in the car while her dad made loads of calls - when he had to use hand held he would often hold steering wheel with his knee - seems the people most likely to use phones are the ones with the least brain power to spare any way.....

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 89

@Champnet wrote

Would you still agree if a family member was seriously hurt, or worse, by a driver fiddling with his/her phone ?

I thought the discussion was about hands free phones?

I totally agree that the vast majority of calls are totally unnecessary. If I receive a call then I arrange to call back when I'm not driving. I can do this without taking my eyes off the road or my hands off the steering wheel.

However we may be out in the car and my wife will use the hands free phone. Should that be illegal? If not how do you police this?

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Baldrick1 wrote:

I may be thick so it would be helpful if someone could explain the difference between talking to someone who is not in the car and talking to the person sat next to me?

I'm confused, is the problem that I am just stupidly trying to apply logic?

Not at all! The big difference is the person on the other end of a call cannot see what you are seeing. Passengers in a car tend to go quiet (as indeed does the driver) when they start to perceive a hazard ahead. Whereas that caller will just carry on talking, distracting you. I used to have a hand free kit in the van and it isn't the utopia that it is made out to be.

But as previously mentioned there are other distractions, adverts by the side of road, sat navs - a fair number of those that come already fitted by the manufacturer in the car aren't even located above the dash. i.e. the driver has to look down to see it. I use my own mobile as a satnav but it is located above the dash on a line to the right of the steering wheel and offside door mirror. i.e. easily scanned as I drive along. Once set, that's it. Not touched till I get to where I'm going. Calls go direct to voicemail.

But where do you stop? But don't worry, it'll be alright when the robots take over the driving.

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Fixes: 339

If I receive a call whilst driving, unless the road is pretty clear with no perceivable hazards, I'll just leave it ringing. I've always had the view that if it is important they'll leave a message or ring later. If an emergency then there is 999!

To be blunt the mobile phone is for my convenience not others:wink:

As for children/babies in the car getting upset  when on my own nothing I can do except start singing to them. They usually quieten down - if only to shut me up:2funny: I certainly won't try to physically comfort them as that may be the last time they cry! Pull over at the first opportunity then deal with them (always a good Idea to have some plasters in the glove compartment:wink:)

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Strat wrote:

I've been a passenger in more than one car during hands free calls to the driver.

When I've asked them, the drivers have confirmed that they had no clear recollection of the past quarter mile of the journey while on the call.

I can't help but wonder how many would be able to recall that having been talking to you in the car! I certainly couldn't.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@artmo wrote:

LOL!!! You used to be VERY pro PC brigade... you now sound like a rebel!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Mav 

We used to have little singalongs with ours and even the odd game of EyeSpy when in car with our kids which kept them entertained for no end of miles, and they still laugh about it and remember the words to all those silly songs.

Tried the same with our grandkids but they are so wrapped up with their Kindles and smart phones they don't have time but, peace perfect peace!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

For anyone who does not agree they should be banned look at the statistics, REF: BBC News today. This shows the increasing number of accidents where the driver was using a hands free phone when compared to accidents when a phone was not being used.

Put another way people who have been seriously injured or killed would have been living a normal life today if these phones had been banned years ago.

As for passengers in the car...I have no problem with switching off from what people are saying, my life and those of any passangers is far more important than general conversations about the weather, brexit or any other subject.

As for lack of police to catch people, if you use a phone in your car it comes up with a message..are you driving ?

If a phone can detect you are moving above a certain speed how difficult would it be to block the signal ?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Always suspicious of stats without at least some comparison or context.

How many more accidents with kids in cars, pets in the back, CD and Radio players, the wife nagging, satnavs and all the rest to countless to count. Take 'em all out and just drive would I presume make for accident free motoring. Well I guess so, but at what price and what cost to convenience.

Next up. No flat caps, no overweight drivers, no high heels (not me during the week) no pregnant mums... and no grannies not looking well in the back there.

"Sorry Mrs, you"ll have to catch the bus on your own next time and no, I don't want a cup of coffee whilst I'm driving!"

Dear oh flipping dear. :smiley:

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman wrote:

Next up. No flat caps, ...

And no cat flaps ...

John Cooper Clark 2019   :rolleyes: