cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hands free phones in cars

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Hands free phones in cars

We have discussed the illegal use of mobile phones in cars before but concern has now been raised about the number of accidents where drivers have been using a hands free mobile, which of course is legal.

I have always been of the opinion that there is so much going on when you are driving that all your concentration should be on the road which includes trying to anticipate what other drivers might do.

The sooner they ban hands free phones the better.

56 REPLIES 56
PeeGee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Hands free phones in cars

I would prefer "disabling" the phone if moving at more than 10mph - it would also stop those annoying train passengers shouting into their phones Shocked

Phil

Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I guess soon we might as well put the driver in a sound insulated cabin within the car so they can't be distracted by passengers too? - but then they might be visually distracted so we'll have to put them up on the roof so they can't see each other too.

Simple fact is, life is becoming far more complex than we've ever known in the past. People have a lot to concentrate on and issues to deal with. A lot of this complexity is done on the phone and unfortunately that often happens while driving.

Talking is talking. Using a phone against your ear while driving means you only have one hand available to control an entire car. Talking while hands free means you have both hands available to control the car minus a real physical person sat next to you.

So what is the real difference here? - The car is carrying a few Kgs less weight and there's one less person to get injured?

It's morons who drive with earphones in listening to music that we should be worried about.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What about the ever increasing size of active in car displays and satnavs, roadside adverts, and moving signs.

Mobiles are just an easy target easy to blame.

Looking down at the road surface, instead of ahead, so you can avoid the potholes isn't helping either.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Using a mobile phone, whether hands free or not, is unique. You have to listen to the caller, you have to understand what they're saying, you have to think of a reply and you have to deliver that reply without leaving a noticeable gap. If you can do all that while concentrating on driving then there's no problem. Listening to the radio is a one way conversation and doesn't need a reply. Noisy kids & talkative passengers - you can ignore....

@7up You've covered most of my post and you can obviously type quicker than me....

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles 

You may be right, and although I do not have one in my car, I've never seen hands free phones as a problem and besides, how are the going to police it? You could just be driving and singing along to music (we've all done it) or chatting to a passenger.

Far worse - apart from those with a phone glued to their ears or texting whilst driving, are pets on laps, kids screaming in the back and get this, I was talking to an old friend last week about why she hates sat navs and when needed she will drive with an open map perched in front of her!

If it's not one thing it's something else stupid drivers will always do regardless. 

Community Veteran

The RAC came out with some information today after they looked at distractions to drivers. The number one problem was passengers. Perhaps we should ban passengers from cars if we carry this to a logical conclusionWink

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Maybe only totally deaf people should be allowed to drive, I'd be up for that as I'm already halfway there. Thumbs Up

Oh yes, and kids kicking the backs of seats. Cut their legs off I say, that'll teach 'em. 

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 85

I may be thick so it would be helpful if someone could explain the difference between talking to someone who is not in the car and talking to the person sat next to me? The only difference I can think of is the risk of turning and looking at the passenger whilst talking. Obviously that doesn't count as it would make talking to the front seat passenger more dangerous than a hands free telephone conversation.

I'm confused, is the problem that I am just stupidly trying to apply logic?

Fixes: 292

I've been a passenger in more than one car during hands free calls to the driver.

When I've asked them, the drivers have confirmed that they had no clear recollection of the past quarter mile of the journey while on the call. So much of their concentration was on the call and not on the world outside.

Usually the journey was one that they did regularly.....familiarity breeds contempt and the phone call compounds the issue.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 68.0.2 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
PowerLee
Rising Star

Where are all the extra traffic police officers required to enforce this law going to come from?

How many drivers do you still currently see holding / using there mobile phone even when there vehicle has built in hands free connectivity?

Educate / prosecute these idiots instead, maybe double the fine & points to someone using a handheld mobile when the vehicle there operating has built in hands free capability.

What about newer vehicles that use touch screen controls for heating, audio etc? These can be a real distraction to drivers to.
Baldrick1
Hero

@Strat wrote:

I've been a passenger in more than one car during hands free calls to the driver.

When I've asked them, the drivers have confirmed that they had no clear recollection of the past quarter mile of the journey while on the call. So much of their concentration was on the call and not on the world outside.

Usually the journey was one that they did regularly.....familiarity breeds contempt and the phone call compounds the issue.

In the four steps of learning it's called unconcious competence. My point is does not the same apply if the driver had been talking to a passenger or even listening to the radio? I beleve that it's quite common for competent drivers to travel familiar routes without remembering the twists and turns of the last quarter of a mile regardless of whether they are talking on a hands free phone.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Strat 

Nothing to do with the phone as even without one, I often cannot recall the past ten seconds let alone the last quarter mile, and how many tines have we all just drifted off with our thoughts when listening to a play, a discussion or laughed along with some comedy show on the car radio. I know I have.

Also, with the vast array of gadgets on, in and around them in police cars, what makes them some vastly more attentive than Mr Joe Blogg driver? Maybe they all possess a superhuman skill set after all those having advanced driving lessons. If this committe of MP muppets ever brings this into law there are going to be a lot of peeded off people driving around with hands free gadgets in their cars that they can no longer used without their collars being felt my PC Plod that's for sure.

Blimey, as if the police do not have enough to do, now they might have to take lessons in lip reading.   

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Baldrick1 

"Unconcious competence"?

I like it. Thumbs Up

Baldrick1
Hero

@Minivanman 

The four steps:

1. Conscious Incompetence.

A new learner. Doesn't really know how to to do a task and is aware of the fact.

2. Conscious Competence

Learnt to do the task but needs to fully concentrate whilst doing it.

3. Unconcious Competence

Task becomes automatic without needing constant conscious effort.

4. Unconcious Incompetence

Familiarity breeds contempt. Over time takes short cuts or becomes incapable for some other reason without realising it..

in many jobs the purpose of regular training courses is to prevent people from drifting from stage 3 into stage 4.