Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hands Off our Butties......

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Hands Off our Butties......

Greencore sandwich factory in Worksop, Nottinghamshire, gets through 300,000 loaves of bread every week
Three million sandwiches are made by army of 2,000 workers who use their bare hands to put together your lunch
Sandwiches are sold at chain stores ranging from Waitrose, M&S and the Co-op to Sainsbury’s, Asda and Boots

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3114625/How-make-lunchtime-sarnie-s-hands-Britain-s-biggest-...

They may wash their hands frequently, but I bet they're not checked for infection nor illness
Are their hygiene standards as high as we would expect ?
Do they always wash their hands after a Toilet break ?
Any Nose pickers ?

They may wear head to toe protection, yet their hands, the most important part of the process, in many cases, are uncovered.
No Supervisors walking the lines ?Huh
While employees use bare hands, the rules about washing them are stringent — anyone who touches their face, for example, must immediately leave the hall and ‘re-scrub’.

Yeh, like that is going to happen every time...

28 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Hands Off our Butties......

And what difference does wearing gloves make?
Fixes: 125

How did we ever survive this far...?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Doesn't everyone pick up sandwiches with very dirty hands when gardening? Dirty streaky bread yum.
Now what was that about being too clean and the rising allergies and lowering resistance to diseases in our children.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: PlusComUK
Are their hygiene standards as high as we would expect ?

I guess they must be as I've not heard of any health related outbreaks that are or could be linked to this or indeed any other sandwich factory.
I've not read the link, nor would I due to the source (DM not you) but from what you have cited this smacks of typical Daily Mail scare mongering.
[Moderator's note by Adie (dvorak) fixed quote.
itsme
Grafter

I just read the article and I can't believe the reporters at the DM don't do any research.
A little research soon find that it's not a requirement to wear gloves and photos of workers wearing gloves were handling bacon, could they be wearing gloves because of their religious believes?
and they also stated
Sandwich break? Workers stop for a natter on a green sofa outside of the production hall - but they aren't paid for their whole lunch

what work force are paid for their lunch breaks?
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme

I am, I have a 41HPW contract that states that my lunch hour is paid.  Smiley
itsme
Grafter

and what is a 41HPW contract?
The majority of my working life I was salaried but my nominal hours did not include lunch breaks.
Community Veteran

41 Hours per Week, or am I missing something?
I am salaried as well, and I've been with my current employer for 10+ years and it's always been this way.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: PlusComUK
Three million sandwiches are made by army of 2,000 workers who use their bare hands to put together your lunch

My mum used to make sandwiches with her bare hands when I was a kid.  I don't wear gloves when I do sarnies for any of my family (or even friends/visitors).
Greencore Food to Go are currently running a recruitment campaign on our local radio (for the Northampton area) offering 'excellent wages and promotion prospects' to paraphrase the advert somewhat.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 125

Hotel and restaurant inspectors?
Quote from: billnotben
Doesn't everyone pick up sandwiches with very dirty hands when gardening?

As a kid when out with friends the height of hygiene was wiping your hands down your trousers  Cheesy
I can see we're all going to make a meal out of this thread Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Mook
41 Hours per Week, or am I missing something?
I am salaried as well, and I've been with my current employer for 10+ years and it's always been this way.

So let say my working week is 36 hours excluding an hour lunch break, so I'm at work for 41 hours. At one of the companies that I worked at when salaried if we built up too many lieu hours we could take some of the hours in money. So would I prefer my hourly rate to be based on 36 or 41 hours?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Mav

I can see we're all going to make a meal out of this thread Wink

crumbs.... some crusty old codger will tell you that it`s just a slice of life............................
Community Veteran

Some crusty comments already!  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

So let say my working week is 36 hours excluding an hour lunch break, so I'm at work for 41 hours. At one of the companies that I worked at when salaried if we built up too many lieu hours we could take some of the hours in money. So would I prefer my hourly rate to be based on 36 or 41 hours?

You're rate would be based on 36 hours, but if you asked to go change to 41 to reflect your lunch then I suspect your rate would drop accordingly. So if you're getting £25PH for 36 hours then you're rate would go to £21.92PH But regardless of how it's cut, your still at work for 41 hours  Cry