Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hands Free Insurance Free driving

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Hands Free Insurance Free driving

With many car manufacturers shifting focus to electric cars - VW for example plans to be a world leader by 2025 - and driverless cars round the corner so to speak - should we still be required to have car insurance given that the 'driver' can hardly be held responsible or indeed liable if the vehicle in which they are being driven is involved in an accident with another driverless car coming from the other direction or whatever. 

Hands free is going to mean insurance free surely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWgrvNHjKkY

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Hands Free Insurance Free driving

You know what insurance companies are like, they'll lobby to make sure you have to have insurance by law to keep vehicle owners held by the short & curlies, because they can... Grin

Fixes: 105

you'd still need it for fire and theft at least..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Minivanman
Hero

Indeed, but I would not be legally obliged to have it?

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak): Full quote of preceding post removed as per the forum rules

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 47

Apparently there will have to be substantial legislation and insurance rethinking as a result of 'driver-less' vehicles.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
2u2me
Aspiring Pro

Think you will still need it to protect yourself from people claiming you ran into them while they are in a world of their own gazing down at their mobiles,manufacturers don`t help either showing ads of someone dancing round the centre of LONDON with their eyes closed with a pair of headphones on.Crazy2  

Minivanman
Hero

Well yes but that would be optional I'm guessing added to which it might well fit into any existing personal liability insurance you may have with your Home Insurance policy but as has been said, I'm sure they will find a way to make it obligatory. Knuppel

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Currently, when the cops are chasing the robbers ( aka bad guys )... they concentrate on who was driving the car,... especially if they "decamp" and do a runner... the chopper cops try to focus on where the driver legs it too,,

so what will happen when the bad guys get these  "auto driver" cars... who is/was driving ?  ? 

Minivanman
Hero

And another thing, "When all cars are driverless, will we need pedestrian crossings?"

One answer here maintains that "algorithms will never detect people who look like they're about to cross"........ let alone detect the possibility of an accident!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/oct/26/driverless-cars-pedestrian-crossings

Community Veteran

There should be a merit point system for drivers who enforce Darwinian Law in respect of smartphone zombies on street crossings. 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Be afraid, be very afraid Angry

The big corporations are interested because they see it as another opportunity to take over control of your lives!  Instead of owning a car and driving it at will you will be using a taxi service and going where they are willing to take you. Also it will be PAYG you won't be able to own anything. I would lump this idea with smartmeters and the cloud I don't want anything to do with it. Ticked off

Also do we keep older vehicle technology going for the third world? Driverless technology won't suit them!

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 47

Minivanman wrote:

And another thing, "When all cars are driverless, will we need pedestrian crossings?"

Good question.

The number of times I see women with kids at the end of school day standing by the edge of the road at a crossing point gossiping!

They have no intention of crossing until every last bit of tittle tattle and rumour is exchanged.

It would be quicker to get out and walk.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Strat  and what about those parents who stand at the side of the road, where there is no pedestrian crossing, ( maybe just an "island" with their beloved cherished child in a pushchair, almost in the roadway itself,  putting their child at risk whilst they stand (relatively) safely on the pavement... , 

Fixes: 125

If never ceases to amaze me the number of people who will try to cross a busy road with their child(ren) in hand when there is a zebra crossing or set of pedestrian lights just a few hundred yards down the road.

I used to walk a fair distance with my daughter before crossing as, apart from being safer, it promoted good road safety to her.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

15232079_1195468977185135_845327213660221411_n.jpg