cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hand Sanitiser "Police"

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Hand Sanitiser "Police"

Maybe it's just me but I got fed up everytime walking into a shop someone shouting out "use the hand sanitiser". Walking into a string of shops how much gunge can your hands stand. I don't know what's in those bottles or if it's any good/benefit. That a hundred people may have touched that button before me doesn't give me any comfort.

I now meet them half way. I walk up to the hand sanitiser and mime using it. I'm happy their happy.

36 REPLIES 36
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 52

Re: Hand Sanitiser "Police"

Must be just you, @billnotben - from my experience anyway. I've been in quite a few shops, cafes, and assorted other public areas, and never encountered this.

John
Hero
Fixes: 28

Never happened to me yet.

Ω is where the is
Seasoned Hero

Just to add a further comment: I have carried and used my own alcohol-based hand gel for a long time, even before this situation arose, for a completely unrelated reason.

John
Community Veteran

Must be just my particular shopping area then. Just small shops. The supermarkets leave you alone.

One thing that made me smile is the little school uniform shop that for the past couple of months was the only shop that had no queues and had next to no shoppers, Today they had a queue that went around the block. The queue was so long they even had someone walking along the queue talking to people and taking notes.

I suppose as kids grow like bean sprouts buying what could be an expensive uniform is something that's best left to the last second.

Have to agree with the rest of the guys, never been asked to use a hand sanitiser... but then I have never been into any shops or stores since this covid malarky first started. 

Parked up and masked up the Mrs goes and gets what we need. Sorted.

Risk rate down by 50% of whatever it is might or might not be floating around.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yep I've been in a few places where you've been asked to use them. That's fine with me.

What isn't are face maks, some people can use them. My body can't handle it, anything that restricts my breathing is not my cup of tea. Some people will pay for that - sorry I will shut up there.

I had one where I felt like I was suffocating, as I said on a another thread, I had a meltdown and removed it.

I don't mind putting stuff on my hands, but as Little Britain once said "Computer says No".

Community Veteran

Yes I had to adjust my mask to make it as loose as possible while still covering nose and mouth otherwise as you say it feels like you are being suffocated. Elastic bands through the ear loops to the back of the head I find more comfortable.

I still haven't figured out why I see lone drivers wearing masks or those walking out in the middle of nowhere.

And as it seems to be shown now that many youngsters are carrying this virus in their nose why are they exempt from masks?

Seasoned Hero

@billnotben I can never work out the lone drivers (or those out walking) either - who or what are they protecting?Undecided

John
Community Veteran

All I can think of is some dutiful wife or husband carefully putting on their better half's mask before they go out. Well many wives still put on and adjust their husbands ties as they don't trust them to do it right.

Community Veteran

Yep,

I don't understand why some people need to wear them and some don't, like some shopkepers don't.

Maybe I have a bad one, but my body can't handle anything around my nose.

You don't exactly need a Biologically degree, that breathing is a good way of "Staying Alive".

As the Bee Gees once said.

Fixes: 481

I've been in 4 shops this afternoon and all had alcohol based dispensers except one.

Pets at Home had liquid dispensers at the door but what was inside wasn't alcohol based, more like washing up liquid.

Fortunately they also had a roll of absorbent tissue to remove the liquid and it was very well used.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 83.0 (64-bit)

Hero
Fixes: 9

One 'guard' at the Tesco I go to did say something like, "Please use the hand sanitiser and keep two metres apart" but no-one else has said it.  I suppose these guys come from an agency and perhaps he was using the script from the place he worked at the previous day.

The handles of the baskets at Morrisons have recently been coated in some sticky substance so next time I went I took a couple of sheets of Plenty with me to stop me catching anything from them.  Once I forgot and couldn't find anything to wipe them with until I spotted a cleaner's trolley with a large roll of paper towels which I took a sheet off.

@billnotben, now we know why youngsters sleep so much, it's exhaustion from carrying all those viruses in their noses.

Community Veteran

@Jonpe wrote:

The handles of the baskets at Morrisons have recently been coated in some sticky substance so next time I went I took a couple of sheets of Plenty with me to stop me catching anything from them.

I only shop for a dozen or so things at a time so right from the start of this I have just used my own carrier bags to put things in. Rather than use any provided trolleys or baskets.

Community Veteran

Yep I use it where it is needed.

I just carry a backpack with me, and I will get a bit of shopping. I put it in there.