cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hamilton charged over street stunt

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hamilton charged over street stunt

Former world champion Lewis Hamilton has been charged with 'intentional loss of control of a motor vehicle' after performing a stunt in his Mercedes road car on a Melbourne street at the Australian Grand Prix in March.
..The Briton, who finished sixth in the second Formula One race of the season, had his car impounded after spinning out the rear wheels at an intersection near the Albert Park circuit.
"A 25-year-old Swiss resident had a summons served on his solicitor on Monday May 17," a spokeswoman for the Victoria police said.
"There is a court session at Melbourne magistrates court on the 24th of August and he's been charged with intentional loss of control of a vehicle."
Hamilton, who moved to Switzerland in late 2007, has already apologised for the incident, which he described as "over-exuberant" and "silly".
In 2007, the McLaren driver was fined and had his regular licence suspended for a month after being stopped by police in France for speeding on the motorway.
In that incident, the Briton was at the wheel of a Mercedes when he was clocked at 196kph near the northern town of Laon.
10 REPLIES
Teds31
Grafter

Re: Hamilton charged over street stunt

Little boys with toys.  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

stirling moss was always getting into that sort of bother and that when he was over 50.  we'll probably have lots more of mr hamilton caught for driving offences.  at least he can handle a car at high speed.  it's the people who think they can drive that have me worried.
win7xp
Grafter

whilst I don't condone his actions surely the charge name gives him a valid defence i.e
"I am an ex F1 world champion and I was in control of the car at all times due to my world class driving skills - ma laud"
Lurker
Grafter

It may seem in bad taste, but...
Ayrton Senna
...acknowledged to have been one of the most proficient drivers of his day.
Tragically killed when he lost control of his vehicle; two theories abound, either steering failure, or simply loss of control due to an uneven surface.
The fact remains that accidents are not always caused by a lack of driver skill.
To increase the danger to other road users under the belief that 'I'm a good enough driver' is not really a sensible argument IMO.
I recognise there are some flaws with my argument - not many theories are perfect!
A final thought though - many of the most accomplished motor racers put their success down to discipline and the ability to understand the rules governing what is possible in that vehicle, at that time.
Are the actions cited above really the actions of somebody exhibiting that sort of discipline?
win7xp
Grafter

Couldn't agree more but the point I was trying to make was that the wording of the charge could give him a plausable line of defence.
Surelely a charge of careless driving would have been more appropriate
itsme
Grafter

I would say that whilst the wheels are spinning you are not in control of the car. The driver has to stop the wheels spinning to regain control up to this point it can be stated it's an intentional lost of control.
Community Veteran

Pity the Australian police don't have some criminals to catch instead of this crap
Lurker
Grafter

Australian police are well known to target motorists at every opportunity.
Residents know to always follow the speed limits and rules of the road - OZ Police still hide in bushes to catch people speeding, and don't try to defend the practice either - they live by the maxim that if you aren't speeding, you have nothing to worry about...
Community Veteran

Celebrities generally do have a weakness in that they consider themselves above the laws that us ordinary folk are expected to abide by! You only have to look at some TV Presenters, footballers, MPs and ex-Royals for example. 
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Oh yes colintivy I completely agree with you there, I think it just looks bad because he is in F1, Personally my opinion is he's just human like the rest of us Wink