Fixes: 2

Halogone Lights ?

6 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Halogone Lights ?

Quote from: PlusComUK
A while back we replaced many of our standard Incandescent Light Bulbs with CFL's (Compact Flourescent Light)
However, in some locations, with fancy triple "Chandeliers" the light output is noticeably dimmer.
This is especially true at the top of staircases.
At night, got a bit fed up with carrying a powerful but small torch to avoid mishaps going down the stairs, I did a bit of Scouting around  Towns shops.
In two shops, eventually, I found packs of 60w x 3 incandescent Candle bulbs, and single 42w (=55w) Halogen ECO Saver bulbs.
Doing some light level tests at home, using the EV scale on a photo light meter, both the 60w and 42w bulbs gave out a similar amount of instantaneous light.
The CFL's on the other hand, as expected, gave around half output at startup, only reaching full brightness at around 6 minutes, and then still two EV Stops less than the others.
Top  of stair lights were thus left on for long periods at a time, to get around the potentially unsafe lower light levels.
Top of stair bulbs replaced, now so much brighter, and safer.
It's almost like daylight.
And a much warmer colour temperature. 2,800K
I did look at LED bulbs, but not very good write-ups so far, will probably get better.
Having tried both type of bulbs in one light fitting, in a 3 bulb fitting, I have installed two x 60w incandescent and one ECO Halogen bulb, they all visually give the same light output, and again visually the same Colour Temperature, they are in frosted glass shades.
60w rated at 1,000 hours life, ECO 42w rated at 1,500 hours
Subject to the same amount of switching (cycling) , and On Time, let's see how they compare.
Though it may be 3 years or so to see a result !
As the 42w ECO give a similar output, Lumens and CT, but run on 30% less electricity than the 60w, they will become the main source in our light fittings.
Also, the glass bulb on the ECO light appears to be thicker, and tougher.

Update:
In one triple light fitting, despite the 42w Halogen bulbs having a quoted RT of 1,500 hours, one failed after around 3 months !
The 60w Tungsten ones still going strong.
So, I did an experiment, replaced the 42w Halogen with another one exactly the same, and swapped one of the 60w Tungsten ones with a CFL.
Almost the same level of brightness at start up from the Chandelier, getting half a EV stop measured brighter over 5 minutes.
As I keep leaving the lights on !!! after descending the stairs, a small power saving over 162w, of 50w.
This mix and match works well in other light fittings.... I have loads of the CFL's to use up ~!!
Anyway, if they do ban Halogens,  I still have a few, and no doubt there will be ways around the ban, including people stocking up !!
Fixes: 47

I swapped six halogens for LED bulbs in my kitchen and no regrets.
Small difference in colour temperature, big difference in energy consumption.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I hope the plan only applies to full sized bulbs.
My bathroom light fitting takes 3 x 25W halogen G9 capsule bulbs. The is no CFL of that size and currently LEDs of the correct size give around 100 lumens compared to 300+ lumens from halogens.
Sale of "heavy duty" incandescent bulbs seems widespread. Unless that loophole is closed there seems little point in banning halogens.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I replaced the old flourescent tube with a LED one, small bit or rewiring required as the balast and starter are no longer required.
Nice white light with no flickering but energy saving is not massive the old type tube was using 36 Watts this LED tube uses 18 watts  (4ft tube)
If you ever decide to do make this change be aware that some tubes require a connection at each end whilst others only require a connection at one end.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

my g9 is 400 lumens - this is why I have spares just in case
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: alanf
I hope the plan only applies to full sized bulbs.

I see that Ryness are selling G9 to BC/ES adaptors and covers to make them look like conventional bulbs. I cannot think of any good reason for this while full sized halogens are on sale.
So if G9 halogens were exempted there would be a loophole unless the adaptors were banned
https://www.ryness.co.uk/g9-halogen-adaptors-and-covers