cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Halogen oven?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Halogen oven?

Thinking of buying one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Premium-Replaceable-WARRANTY/dp/B00BXIHY8E/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen...
Are they really any good or just another semi-useless gadget to clutter up the limited amount of work-surface collecting dust and unused.
Certainly the majority of Amazon reviews seem to find them the best thing since sliced bread.
Any members here have any experience of them?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Halogen oven?

Have no experience of halogen cooking... but... what size turkey can you get in there ?
Steve
Pro

I've got one, see my thread on the subject here.http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108883.0.html
Community Veteran

Thank you M Steve, I recall that thread now you point it out. How's your opinion now?
PS. what is the approximate footprint size please?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Steve
Pro

I still have the same feelings from when I bought mine. Take a look at the link to mines as the one you are looking at Is hinged and mines Is cheaper. They really are the business and super easy to clean. Not kept an eye out for the footprint but I do believe they run a tad cheaper as they heat up to full temp pretty much Instantly. Mines still works like the day I bought It and Its from the same seller and really glad I bought mine.
Fixes: 125

Funnily enough SWMBO was asking about one of these the other day.
A quick look back at the other thread and I don't think my question was ever answered....
... can you make a rice pudding in it  Cheesy
@M Steve can you try and report back, please..

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Pro

It's just an oven. You can cook anything In It that you would cook In an oven Smiley
Fixes: 125

Ahh, yes but is it just as nice?
It's like microwaving porridge... never as good as cooking the old fashioned way.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Pro

Not sure as I'm not keen on rice or porridge  Tongue
Community Veteran

How long should the bulb last Undecided
I've not seen these before.  I'd be interested in your views Petlew Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
PS. what is the approximate footprint size please?

Thanks again M Steve. But what I actually was asking was the approximate amount of room the device takes up on the work-top. There are no dimensions included in the product details.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Are these any quicker than a normal oven or nukebox M_Steve?
You got my curiosity going now!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

@Petlew. They wont take up a terrible amount of space to be honest mines sits In the corner on my kitchen tabletop
@7up faster than an oven probably but not faster than a Microwave but then these ovens cook things much better/ differently than a Microwave.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Hmm, might recommend one to 'er then Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
I've not seen these before.  I'd be interested in your views Petlew Smiley

I don't actually have any yet. I don't know anybody (except M Steve) who has one. There are myriads of reviews on the web, almost exclusively in favour so I don't think I'd be taking a chance on buying one from a cooking point of view.
My problem is the physical size of the thing. Its not as if we lack the area space of work surface, its not a huge kitchen but not too small either, but the work-top is rather badly laid out with a fitted sink unit and hob encroaching, which leaves three relatively smaller areas for actually working in between and around them. However since it is a right angle it does have two available corners which are currently occupied by a knife block and the councils food scraps bin in one corner and a soup maker (probably the most useless kitchen device we ever bought) and essential kettle in the other corner.
The soup maker can go, its quite tall, but has a fairly small base foot-print. Apart from being almost unused I won't really miss it. But I'm not planning on having the kitchen redesigned and rebuilt to accommodate a halogen oven.
M Steve, is it suitable for producing casseroles (of which we have quite often of different types during the colder months)?
Oh yes, I suppose I am a bit of a kitchen gadget freak....