Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Halogen Bulb Ban.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Halogen Bulb Ban.

"Now we know what the Civil Service actually do... "

Hang on there @shutter, as an employee of the Crown naval personnel are civil servants!  😋

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Minivanman  So  ? ? ? ? ? ? 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

Well many sailors must have had plenty of spare time on their hands no?

But perhaps not in your day. 🙂

Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

I’m surprised the terms ‘Civil Servant’ and ‘Civil Service’ are still acceptable given the history of their origins.....

Longliner
Pro
Fixes: 4

LEDs replaced our MR16 halogens a couple of years ago with kitchen lights much brighter taking 36W rather than 300W and no transformers to burn out. But what convinced me was removing the old MR16 housings to find the paper of the plasterboard ceiling seriously charred by bulb heat. And yes, I did keep the fibreglass insulation pulled well back from each bulb.

My real annoyance is to remember those CFT compact fluorescent tubes -- three or four minutes to warm up, light more like candle-glow, and apparently a real problem to recycle because of their gas content. Even more irritating is that Government subsidised millions of the ##### things 'to help reduce carbon footprint'.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Minivanman wrote:

@billnotben 

We are all part of the 'use once and throw away' consumer society.

I'm off down the dump later chucking out a printer that is cheaper to replace than repair... a lot cheaper. 😕

Unfortunately these days there is a growing "i'm too busy" issue in most peoples lives when it comes to learning how to fix things instead of dumping them. I personally get a bit of a buzz (admittedly a lot less these days) from taking stuff apart to see how it works and if i can fix it, i will. I used to love it years ago, these days it's more of a chore but i'll still get around to it at some point if i need to. But i'm considered a rare breed these days - or a bit of a nutter to most "normal" people these days who think life is about their xbox, playstation or going out to get wasted.

I hate the dump / recycling centre, everytime i go there to the electronics bit i see tons of stuff in there that i could take to bits and scavenge things from or fix. Unfortunately once its in, nothing is allowed back out.

But ultimately the problem is as you say, we're consumers and we consume. We don't do much in the way of engineering here anymore and people who know how to fix things are in decline. We're not very skilled these days. One of my young colleagues at work was trying to drill a hole into a vertical piece of wood the other day. It stunk quite badly and he wasn't making much progress. He was getting proper fed up so i walked up and took a look - only to see that he had the drill bit going round in reverse. I tried to explain how the drill bit works by cutting in and removing material but he didn't give a hoots, flicked the switch and continued without caring. How on earth do you expect to do something if you don't know how it works? - And that's a big problem with the young generations these days, a lot of them are just not interested. Those rare few that are these days may well be disadvantaged and unable to get into a technical discipline (like me - i was blocked repeatedly) and that's another few gone. The governments crusade to put all of our manufacturing abroad hasn't helped either.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Minivanman wrote:

"Now we know what the Civil Service actually do... "

Hang on there @shutter, as an employee of the Crown naval personnel are civil servants!  😋

No they're not, they're military personnel. Civil are the total opposite, non military and shuffle bits of paperwork around and trying to create new boxes to tick.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

@Longliner wrote:

My real annoyance is to remember those CFT compact fluorescent tubes -- three or four minutes to warm up, light more like candle-glow, and apparently a real problem to recycle because of their gas content. Even more irritating is that Government subsidised millions of the ##### things 'to help reduce carbon footprint'.

Yes, it's unfortunate that CFLs came along before LEDs became as good as they are now. They gave "energy-saving" lights a bad name and slowed down the migration from tungsten and halogen.

A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

@gleneagles wrote:

So what’s going to happen with Halogen car headlight bulbs…..could they make them illegal to force motorists to change…

LED headlight bulbs are available, for example…..

UltinonPro 9000 HL if you have deep pockets…..but…..

They are illegal in this country !

Unless the headlamp is tested & certificated for LED fitment then its illegal to retro fit them so this rules out swopping out a halogen bulb for a retrofit LED one.

Halogen bulbs for automotive fitment / use will be around for a good few years yet.

FWIW - Halogen bulbs have been phased out from Toyota counter balance forklifts over the last few years, all the lighting equipment is standard LED now. 

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman wrote:

Some of those SUV's are just oversized hard to park monsters. 

The BMW SUV's are far more bigger than my SUV. Parking an SUV isn't hard and while reversing next to my neighbour's people carrier I've noticed its actually not so wide. It might be slightly taller though. Easier to get into and out as well as being able to see over the hedges. So I sleep easier now. 😀

But what did knock me over was looking at the recently introduced Birmingham clear air zone. I thought I wonder how much I'd have to pay if we ever needed to go into the city centre. Admittedly, we usually go by train to Brum anyway. Entered the car registration and ..... nothing to pay.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@7up 

Well in all seriousness it's a moot point because on checking it depends who you ask but technically, it seems that it is anybody who is employed by or works on behalf of a Minister of State.

All interesting stuff as they say. 🙂

@idonno 

Point taken, and I was referring of course to those monsters that are overlong and overwide. Car parking spaces are not wide enough as it is and when one of those beasts move in even my little Suzuki has to take a deep breath, and how often have to had to squeeze out carefully so's not to bash each others car doors.

One of my daughters drives one (a Ford Kuga) and even she has no idea why... and my brother also, but like many others I suspect he just likes the room. It just happens to be everybody else's that's all.

Not all SUV's are the same I know, but I do know they are not for me I'm afraid. 

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Minivanman wrote:

All interesting stuff as they say. 🙂

Not really...... but it does fill up some more space on the PN forum pages ! ! ! Grin

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

Tomatoes tomatos. 😉  

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@7up 

My 'fixing things days' in the way you do are long gone and yes it is a buzz getting something going again and I also despair at seeing stuff chucked. As well as the electrical and mechanical, the amount of decent timber that gets thrown out astounds me when you consider just how expensive it is to buy. 

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Some roads were never made to accommodate very large SUV…..

Many times I have been on roads in the Lake District with white broken white line down the middle and some vehicles are so wide they cross that line forcing on coming traffic into the hedge or wall as witnessed by damaged walls or car body parts.

Whats that got to do with Halogen lights ?……Nothing really but thought it a chance to shine a light on something that annoys me.

We are born into history and history is born into us.