Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Halogen Bulb Ban.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: Halogen Bulb Ban.

@Jonpe 

Do some products use more electricity as they age, for example a old fridge or fridge/freezer may be less efficient at keeping the correct temperature than a new one……

I do not know this as a fact but it could explain it.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I have box light bulbs of shapes and sizes you would not believe. 

Bulb gone again? Then it's down to the shed and a rummage through that box for the right size, shape, fit, wattage and energy efficiency. Gone are the days when ones sized fits all. 

Mrs Minivanman. "What took you so long?"

Grrr. 😬

Oh yes, and not long changed the car from a Ford to a little 'road tax free' Suzuki and yep, had to go out and buy a completely new set of spare bulbs. 

*shakes head* 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

I don't suppose they use more energy so much because they old and have to work harder, but because products these days are far more energy efficient?

Most come with some sort of energy rating sticker on them as we know ,especially those fridge/fridges.  

corringham
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@billnotben wrote:

Surely if the aim is to reduce electricity consumption then why are they continuing to build SUV sized electric vehicles?

I think it is so that the car can carry a big enough battery to give it a useful range.

If they reintroduced the electric tram system with overhead wires they wouldn't need batteries 😉

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@corringham 

They were that size before those batteries were ever fitted besides which if that was the case the it defeats the object... and don't even get me started on those virtue signaling hybrids.

Some of those SUV's are just oversized hard to park monsters. 

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@corringham wrote:

@billnotben wrote:

Surely if the aim is to reduce electricity consumption then why are they continuing to build SUV sized electric vehicles?

I think it is so that the car can carry a big enough battery to give it a useful range.

If they reintroduced the electric tram system with overhead wires they wouldn't need batteries 😉

Probably....... however.. it would be a very complicated system, trying to get individual car owners of varying sizes, weight, and height, to pay for the infrastructure, to enable them to park their particular vehicle, on their personal property, when not in use.. imagine all those "junctions" off the main run, into every garden and garage, and for each individual to have his own parking space in the street, where no off road parking is available...

Oh... and as regards not having a battery... but obtaining the power from the overhead cables... what size nuclear power station would you have to build to maintain enough amps for the system to work efficiently to A+++++ standard  ? ? ? 

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Every time I've made an effort to save money by reducing consumption the price goes up so I still end up paying a lot more.

I expect if many households managed to reduce their consumption to next to zero all that would happen is the standing charge would sky rocket.

There's little incentive for consumers to save energy when  they see no sign of it in their bills.

Champnet
Seasoned Champion

How's about a super efficient solar panel on the car roof, some of the SUV's are large enough.............

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@billnotben 

Consumption is a big part of the problem no?

We are all part of the 'use once and throw away' consumer society.

I'm off down the dump later chucking out a printer that is cheaper to replace than repair... a lot cheaper. 😕

@Champnet 

Maybe they can tow a solar array trailer behind them. 😆

corringham
Seasoned Pro

@shutter wrote:

Oh... and as regards not having a battery... but obtaining the power from the overhead cables... what size nuclear power station would you have to build to maintain enough amps for the system to work efficiently to A+++++ standard  ? ? ? 

OK, if the overhead electric wire system won't work, how about an underground cable system like the San Francisco cable cars use?

They use wooden blocks as a clutch - so at least that bit is sustainable.

shutter
Community Veteran

@corringham  Er.... see my part about home parking... on driveway, or in the street... still need those junction points at every household... 

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

@gleneagles wrote:

Do some products use more electricity as they age, for example a old fridge or fridge/freezer may be less efficient at keeping the correct temperature than a new one……

If the condenser has been gathering dust for years a fridge or freezer will use more power than if it was clean.

If it's an old model a new one is likely more efficient anyway.

A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
corringham
Seasoned Pro

@shutter wrote:

@corringham  Er.... see my part about home parking... on driveway, or in the street... still need those junction points at every household... 

OK, good point. We maybe need a radical rethink of transport...

Some years ago (at a previous employment) we had an office discussion about whether a cyclist or a racehorse could cover a particular distance faster.

But then we thought what about a horse on a bicycle! 😲

So we spent several days working out a design on several whiteboards. Getting the hooves fastened to the pedals was OK,  but we got stuck with the design of the gears for moving from a trot to a canter. And we didn't even get as far as thinking about a gallop.

shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm... Now we know what the Civil Service actually do....... Shocked

corringham
Seasoned Pro

@shutter wrote:

Hmm... Now we know what the Civil Service actually do....... Shocked

I've never been a civil servant - that was R&D at a major telecoms manufacturer...