Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Halogen Bulb Ban.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Halogen Bulb Ban.

Have to admit I had never made the connection between halogen bulbs and climate change. The only problem I have is being dazzled by those halogen car headlights - but that might have something to do with my aging eyesight.

Anyways, I don't have them in our house as when I fitted them in the kitchen ceiling of my last place they did not seem to last very long, plus they were rather too hot for my liking.

Halogen lightbulb sales to be banned in UK under climate change plans - BBC News

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
52 REPLIES 52
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Halogen Bulb Ban.

@Minivanman  Thanks for the heads up on this.... I will be off down to b&q to get a couple of flourescent tubes in reserve for my kitchen.... 

it`s not actually MY kitchen... as we rent the place... and I ain`t gonna pay for a replacement LED type light for it, if the tube should go.  Not expecting it to, real soon,... as we only replaced it about 2 years ago, and the previous one had done at least 6 years service prior to failing.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@shutter 

Sounds like a good plan!

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Yes, I just seen this on the news but not really an issue now. I've been using GU10 LED's in the kitchen for years - cheaper to run and seem to last just as long as the halogen's equivalent. Last year I replaced the LED's lamps for the first time in 6 years - they'd dulled down over the years. New ones though, wow, what an improvement. Considering how often and how long they are on, not bad at all.

It was the same when we needed some extra lighting in the shop, I ended up buying 2x 6ft LED daylight fittings as I didn't know how bright they might be. Put one up and ended up with one spare as the light output from just the one put the fluorescent lamps to shame. Win win, all round really. Weight wise, they are extremely light. Cost wise, not much more expensive than fluorescent fittings and cheaper to run.

@shutter I wouldn't rush out to buy lamps etc You might find the choke has gone by the time 10 years has gone by. Be new fitting time by then.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

The flourscent tube went kaput in our garage last week so replaced the complete unit and well pleased with it, nice white light, dead easy to fit and much lighter (excuse the pun) than the old one….but will it last as long….27 years.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran

@idonno    Ha Ha ! ... already got one.... when the tube went last time... I thought it might have been the choke,... and could only buy a pair... so a new one was fitted.. ( then the new tube) .. so still got one spare !

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

So what’s going to happen with Halogen car headlight bulbs…..could they make them illegal to force motorists to change…

LED headlight bulbs are available, for example…..

UltinonPro 9000 HL if you have deep pockets…..but…..

They are illegal in this country !

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran

@gleneagles  I would think that the car headlight bulbs.... will be using the vehicle electricity supply, ...( regardless of fuel being used) .. and therefore, will not be so much of a "carbon footprint" type.... getting rid of the halogen bulbs in buildings will/should mean lower electricity consumption, therefore a lower " carbon footprint", throughout the country.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Surely if the aim is to reduce electricity consumption then why are they continuing to build SUV sized electric vehicles?

Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

I see that thieves of catalytic converters are branching out to include electric vehicle's home charging stations....

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 74

@billnotben wrote:

Surely if the aim is to reduce electricity consumption then why are they continuing to build SUV sized electric vehicles?

Joined-up thinking failure, something all governments are eminently capable of.

John
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Cor the PC Brigade going off on one again.

How many people (of course the real answer is actually zero, but I'll play along with it for now) actually look at energy efficiency ratings and say "I am not having that bulb it is not energy efficient!".

As opposed to say, the cost of the bulb, does it look nice, how bright it will be and will it fit in any shade it may have to go inside?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Alex wrote:

How many people (of course the real answer is actually zero, but I'll play along with it for now) actually look at energy efficiency ratings and say "I am not having that bulb it is not energy efficient!".

Where i work, quite a lot of our customers are actually very concerned about energy ratings of the lightbulbs we sell. Myself and my colleagues all try to avoid that area as we get collared by customers all the time about lightbulbs making it hard to get anything else done.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Over the years as I've needed to replace light bulbs, I've bought the energy efficient ones.  My Humax recorder uses 3W of electricity on standby and probably a lot less than the old VHS one when in use and new computers presumably use less electricity than the previous ones.  Yet my electricity consumption is increasing steadily.  It just doesn't add up.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Jonpe  Probably because you are making more tea or coffee for when you watch the recordings on your Humax ! !  Cheesy