Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Halogen Bulb Ban.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Halogen Bulb Ban.

Around here we currently have large tractors zooming (and I do mean zooming) around hauling even larger trailers. You really do have to shift over sharpish if you don't want to lose the side of your car. 

Would bright headlights help? Oh yes, along with the occasional indicator!

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman wrote:

Car parking spaces are not wide enough as it is and when one of those beasts move in

Near me are two car parks separated by a service road. Both were free until recently. Now one is free two hour limited and the other is pay.

As you can guess the free one is usually half full while the pay one looks next to empty with usually maybe fifteen or so cars widely spaced out in it. And you can also probably guess a dozen of those were SUV's,

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@corringham wrote:

I think it is so that the car can carry a big enough battery to give it a useful range.

I expect that's part of it but I think the main reason is down to perceived value.

Just making up figures if you take a cheap compact car and add an electric version it might add 50% to the price. Whereas an expensive SUV electric version might only add say 25%. Which comes across as more acceptable to green urban farmers.

Like I said only made up figures but you get my drift.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@shutter wrote:

@Jonpe  Probably because you are making more tea or coffee ...  Cheesy

I have three cups of coffee per day maximum, which my (female) Australian dentist thought was "quite a lot".

RobPN
Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

Around here we currently have large tractors zooming (and I do mean zooming)

@Minivanman 

And I take it you do mean tractors - i.e. not the Chelsea version!  Thumbs_Up

Jonpe
Hero

A Chelsea tractor with a trailer?  Not in the King's Road dear boy.

Jonpe
Hero

@corringham, "Some years ago (at a previous employment) we had an office discussion about whether a cyclist or a racehorse could cover a particular distance faster."  " - that was R&D at a major telecoms manufacturer..."

Horses on bicycles delivering the data to our computers?  Judging by our relatively slow internet, I think the idea was adopted.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@7up wrote:

One of my young colleagues at work was trying to drill a hole into a vertical piece of wood the other day. It stunk quite badly and he wasn't making much progress. He was getting proper fed up so i walked up and took a look - only to see that he had the drill bit going round in reverse.

Oh dear, now by no means am I an expert at DIY but at least I have never done that! 🙄

I know what you mean now @7up. My dad used to repair TV's for a living and used to try to get me interested in TV's. I never was really, though I do remember him asking (a much younger me) to go to Eltham (so for anyone who knows South East Laaaandan you know where that is!) to get a certain chip and him unsoldering and resoldering the new chip in. He would have the service manuals and would do it all in his shed with the soldering iron.

Nowadays it all goes on a skip or in the dump and people just get a brand new device.

I remember that much younger me trying to use a soldering iron. Ouch. Wasn't very good with it and ended up burning myself as opposed to actually managing a install a new component.