cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half My Face Is Now Paralysed ( Improving )

Steve
Pro

Half My Face Is Now Paralysed ( Improving )

What started as A spot ( or what I thought was a spot ) In my ear has swollen my ear really bad and has an Infection ( Shingles?) This only came to pass over the last 3-4 days. Didn't think nothing of It at first but once half my face became paralysed I knew something wasn't quite right.
I have been under severe pressure for over a week and I think this Is where It all started as I already suffer depression quite bad. Have you heard of Ramsay's Hunt? Well that Is what I have been diagnosed with as of this evening, Been given painkillers, Steroids and antivirals.
My word of advice as a bloke? No matter how small you may think you have something or caught something get It checked out Immediately with your doctor, Don't care about wasting doctors time, Something silly to you could also be something very serious.
I just hope I have caught this In time to make a full recovery Cry
more on Ramsay's Hunt Syndrome
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Half My Face Is Now Paralysed

Strewth
I also hope you caught it early enough and make a full recovery
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Get Well Soon
Steve
Pro

Thanks Oldjim and Midnight Caller, I think I have caught It In time but only just.
Outlook (Prognosis)
The more severe the damage, the longer it will take to recover, and the lower the chance that you will completely regain normal function. If there is not much damage to the nerve, then you should get better completely within a few weeks. If damage is more severe, you may not fully recover-- even after several months.
Overall, chances of recovery are better if the treatment is started within 3 days of when the symptoms begin. If treatment is started at this time, 70% of patients make a full recovery.
However, when the treatment is delayed more than 3 days, the chances of complete recovery drop to about 50%. Children are more likely to have a complete recovery than adults.
Recovery may be complicated if the nerve grows back to the wrong areas (synkinesis), which may cause inappropriate responses, such as tears when laughing or chewing (crocodile tears). Some other people may experience blinking of the eye when they talk or chew food.
jmd
Grafter

When I was working a colleague started with that and was of work for a few weeks and when he returned he was fine apart from a slight weakness to his mouth at one side, and seem to remember he was on steroids for a while.  The weakness to his mouth meant that his speech was affected slightly so he was moved from working with the public to office work which pleased him enormously.  What pleased him even  more that when his mouth was recovered he stayed on office work behind the scenes. [we worked in a JobCentre].
I am sure that now you have been to Doctor and got treatment you will recover well and hope you cope with the discomfort whilst recovering.
nadger
Rising Star

@ Steve M - Best wishes for a speedy, and full, recovery.
Good advice to blokes to not put off a trip to the doctor.
Community Veteran

... if you can get an appointment!
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Steve
Pro

Thanks  jmdlp and nadger, Always good to hear from someone or  someone who knows someone who has been through the same experience.
Well on a positive note It has not got any worse so looks like Its just going to be my left side of my face that Is paralysed for now at least. The sharp shooting pains In my ear have eased of a bit but still swollen pretty bad. I have to see my doctor In the middle of next week to get the balance of my medication that I was given In the Minor Injury's Unit last night If there Is no Improvement.
My left eye can close but only just and no matter how hard I try I cant squeeze It shut like my right eye, When I drink Its just dribbling out my left side of my mouth, My speech Is only slightly affected and I cant raise my left eyebrow, I cant move the left of my face at all no matter how hard I try.
AlaricAdair, Are you talking about new changes to the minor Injury's Unit? Up here In my area and surrounding area soon we will have to dial NHS24 and book an appointment to go In and get seen to, I have no problems with that as It Is only minor Injury's.
With regard to getting an appointment with the Doctor? Of course you can and If Its something that cant wait or what with good Friday just around the corner then just book an appointment through NHS24, I presume this Is going to be  Nationwide
Thanks again to everyone for the comforting words.
Steve
EDIT: you can still walk Into minor injury's unit but If Its fully booked your going to have a long wait as these people will get seen to first.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Not heard of that syndrome, Steve. Thanks for posting, at what must be a worrying time.
Best wishes for a full recovery.
Not young enough to know everything
Steve
Pro

Thanks 4C, I never heard of It at first either, the first time I was at the minor injury's unit for something else not long ago  they thought It could of been 'Bells Palsy' But after my ear now swollen like a cauliflower and blisters seeping It all pointed to 'Ramsays Hunt'
There Is actually 3 types of Ramsay's Hunt, I think I am type two.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Woah.
I hope you get better soon!  Sad
Steve
Pro

Woah Indeed, Thanks Kelly, Well almost one week on the ear Is healing perfectly well but the face remains paralysed, Was at the doctors today, Looking at 3 weeks for all or some recovery. Almost finished my steroids and antivirals and then Its a waiting game.
Fixes: 47

I hope your waiting game has an excellent result Steve Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

All the best for a full recovery Steve hope you don't suffer too long.
The varicella virus is not very nice.
Are you suffering from vertigo with Ramsay Hunt syndrome?
Steve
Pro

Thanks Journeys, It could be worse though couldn't It? No vertigo here, Just the facial weakness.