Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Haggling on motor expenses !

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Haggling on motor expenses !

I received the standard.... here`s your automatic renewal price. for.... ( car rescue )   & ( motor Insurance)

Car Rescue.. with Start Rescue.... there was an increase in the renewal cost,  so I emailed them regarding using the car less, last year, and possible this year,... and also that I was a very long term customer... haggled the price and got a reduction of the renewal, and a further 10% for being a good boy !

Car Insurance... AEGAS.... renewal quote £300.69p  ! ... emailed them told them about the mileage etc and they, at first, said, well that`s it... told them I was disgusted, and wanted a cheaper price... due to receiving quotes as low as £215.00   asked them to meet that, and give me 10% off the original ( last years price) for the reduced mileage.   they got back to me today, offering a new "improved" offer.... reducing it by £21.33 p.

Considering the Compulsory and Voluntary excess requirement... added up to £350.00   that would make the excess, more than the premium !.... not only that...BUT.. if you add the excess TO the premium, it means my annual car insurance would cost over £600 with AEGAS.

So .. I told them that I would not be renewing, and mentioned that the reader of the emails should be able to put in an "excessive" pay rise request... due to the amount of money they were ripping people off for ! .

Have started a new policy with Hastings Direct... £226.00    which includes the usual excess .... which is £45 voluntary and £100 compulsory.... making the FULL total years cost to be £371.00

17 REPLIES 17
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Haggling on motor expenses !

I was an Admiral insurance customer for around 8 years - every year there renewal price would be better then any of the comparison websites could offer when I checked so I would always renew with Admiral.

They even called me up in year 5 asking why I kept renewing with them & I told them, they where always the cheapest price for the cover.

Once I changed my vehicle a couple of years back halfway through the policy year, the Admiral price went through the roof so I went elsewhere at renewal time.

Most years the RAC breakdown renewal price is stupidly high, the family have been with them since 1985 & when its high we phone them up to get the renewal price down to a reasonable level.

Very rare we ever call them out - last time was several years ago for a puncture, the wheel brace failed / split removing the wheel nuts so I was unable to get the wheel nuts undone & had to call them out ( wasn't my vehicle ) 

HelloDuck
Pro

@shutter wrote:

Have started a new policy with Hastings Direct... £226.00    which includes the usual excess .... which is £45 voluntary and £100 compulsory.... making the FULL total years cost to be £371.00 

Hi why are you adding the excesses to the premium

You only pay an excess is you make a claim and its your fault

I only look at what I'm actually paying 

For Start Rescue use the discount code  15APP  for 15% discount when joining or renewing

If you are NHS use 'LOVETHENHS'  for  25% discount

HD 

shutter
Community Veteran

@HelloDuck  The only reason was to show the "actual cost" of the insurance, if a claim is made... and also it shows the "comparative " difference in overall expense, of motor insurance, between the two companies, for the same end product. 

Many people, like you, forget about the "compulsory", and the "compulsory voluntary" excess amounts, when considering their renewal cost.....  Agree... the renewal price is the one you actually pay...but the "hidden extra" is a serious amount of money that you (kindof) thought you had covered, when  you have just had an accident...

!Oh... not to worry, I`m insured!.... then you put in your claim and find that the new wing mirror will come out of your "compulsory voluntary" excess,.... and wing mirror`s ain`t cheap, like wot they used to be.....

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter It just doesn't pay to be loyal. I've done the rounds on insurance - car, motorbike, house and breakdown. All have been changed since last October through to this year. I just can't be bothered to phone up nowadays. Tried that a few years ago with Tesco's and was really glad to get off the line. Yes, I did get the price down to what I could get online but it was with Tesco's again. Go figure. Doing it online would have been a case of tick the boxes and pay. Job done with no waiting, no listening to recorded messages etc.

Hastings Direct were cheapest last year for the wife but this year ended up with Churchill and saved nearly £90. One thing I hated about HD is the auto renew. And you have to phone to get it cancelled. There should be a law against it. If you apply online the default should be opted out. To me its just a scam to get you locked in.

As for mirrors, yep bl**dy expensive. You need to take a loan out for some.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

There is a need to insure your car no argument there, but I still detest the way they squeeze customers until the pips squeak with those seemingly toss up arbitrary premiums. 

Good for you @shutter - far to many just shrug their shoulders and pay these pirates of the insurance world.

Who would you rather push off a very high cliff, a second hand car salesman, the taxman... or a car insurance company? 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran

@idonno wrote:

One thing I hated about HD is the auto renew. And you have to phone to get it cancelled. There should be a law against it. If you apply online the default should be opted out. To me its just a scam to get you locked in.

Yes, I agree.... and, although I noticed it in the "enrolment" ... I did not change it... however, thanks to you , i just opened up my account... went to "settings"   and ...    changed it...

OPT OUT OF AUTO RENEW 2.png

There must be an "auto send" from them, as I have just received an email, confirming they will not renew, unless I request it.

HelloDuck
Pro

I think it's great how people on here look after each other with up to date information

HD

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Usually get a better deal if you are a new customer, not just for car insurance but for many other services as well.

Pays to change a number of policies each year if the increase is more than you consider reasonable.

At least some companies now tell you last years price plus the renewal price which is useful.

Excess charges or the amount you pay if a claim is made is a con, if to opt out the premium is almost as high as the combined price as mentioned in the OP.

At one time windscreen replacement was included, now many companies want you to pay the first £ 50.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
billnotben
Community Veteran

With all the reduced mileage this year the insurance companies must be rubbing their hands together.

The quotes on comparison sites go up and down so on one I use mainly I check a month before it's due then every week. I keep the emails with the quoted price links on them. So when it's due if the price has got higher on the site I just use a lower quote on one of the older email links.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@billnotben wrote:

The quotes on comparison sites go up and down so on one I use mainly I check a month before it's due then every week. I keep the emails with the quoted price links on them. So when it's due if the price has got higher on the site I just use a lower quote on one of the older email links.

That's exactly what I did back in November @billnotben .

I noticed that each time I went back to the site and refreshed my quotes, the prices were gradually creeping up.

Martin Lewis from MoneySavingExpert has advised that the sweet spot for getting cheapest quotes is 21 days before renewal is due.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@RobPN 

Some sort of tracking going on of your need?

Might be wrong but feel sure this has happened on places like Amazon where you shop around and find the price has gone up from the first time you checked.

Happens in real life I know as I was checking out the price of a restored 60s scooter (not my sort of thing) for my little brother and was told £500 by the shop owner. Checked back about a week later and don't think he recalled me asking before, but the price and gone up by a whopping £400.

"£900? But you told me last week it was £500"

He just shrugged his shoulders.

But there you go, even at the original price by little brother was not interested. 

"Bert, the bloke won't haggle!"

Monty Python negotiation Haggle - YouTube

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman 

I don’t follow the logic of that, unless there is a big demand for that particular product ?

Surely the idea is to sell stuff, if you raise the price like the example you give the seller is gambling on the fact he can get more, possibly based on enquiries.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

As you say more enquiries so I can only think that during the week a few people had shown an interest and he decided to put the price up. It had gone after a while so some muggins decided nostalgia had a price worth paying. 

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Expedia uses a similar supply and demand model. Login and look at a specific holiday then go back a few days later you'll find the price is increasing. Nearer the departure date the holiday is either fully booked or the price starts reducing.