cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacking

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Hacking

Some of you will have seen the press reports regarding Lauri Love who has been accused by the USA of hacking into the US Federal reserve, US Army, Department of Defence, NASI & the FBI.

If this proves to be true it then raises the question of exactly how  easy is it to access these sites which much have almost no limits to the money or personnel to keep these sites secure ?

If such sites can be accessed by some youth in his bedroom with limited funds what chance for the rest of us regarding bank accounts and other sites we use being hacked ?

This is not the first time this has happened and no doubt it will not be the last so how secure are our private details ? Are virus checkers and fire walls that much use from a determined hacker. ?

Lots of questions there but this is something that affects us all so one final question are there any additional measures that can be taken in addition to common sense and not replying dodgy emails or opening attachments ? for example would the use of a paid for VPN offer any additional protection ?

20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Hacking

I know nothing of the technicalities of hacking... however, If the answer to "personal security" was to the use of a paid for VPN.... surely those establishments that have been hacked, by this guy, and others... would have been using that  ? ? ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Would you want those people comming after you ?

Community Veteran

@shutter

Good question, no idea myself, unless it because the USA departments have their own servers so it would be risky using outside servers.

From what I can gather VPN scramble data so it would be much harder to hack into......equally I could be wrong.

A number, possibly all on the forum are more clued up than me on computer related topics so hopefully there will be some response from those clued up on IT matters

Community Veteran

30FTTC06 wrote:

Would you want those people comming after you ?

What people, not sure what you mean ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

The authorities of the USA... the justice and legal departments who demand the world jump to their demands.

If it was any other country demanding we hand over a talented hacker it would be blocked on the grounds that the other country could then end up making use of that hacker against us. When it's our special friends across the pond who refuse to lift a finger when we're in the [-Censored-], we're expected to roll over and send the hacker over to them.

The USA was supposed to learn from Gary McKinnon that computers with blank passwords are not a good idea. They clearly don't give a damn though and now they're trying to pin it on one of ours because they can't be bothered to take security seriously.

With that said, you could equally blame the hacker for not going through russian and syrian proxies to cover his tracks. Neither side have conducted themselves very well when it comes to protecting themselves.

As for home protection, I've no idea. VPNs can be decrypted (at least at each end point so potentially in the middle too). This may have just been an attack against various servers (http, ftp, ssh etc) or it may have been a direct breach of the operating system somehow... if it is the latter then there is no hope for the rest of us but if it was against a server then the simple answer is to shut those down or host them in a virtual computer or a dedicated machine.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

7up wrote: ... This may have just been an attack against various servers (http, ftp, ssh etc) or it may have been a direct breach of the operating system somehow... if it is the latter then there is no hope for the rest of us but if it was against a server then the simple answer is to shut those down or host them in a virtual computer or a dedicated machine.

@7up - Sorry but you really ought to read what you've typed before you post it and in the case of the above delete it prior to hitting the Post button. Crazy3

In order to ‘hack’ into something a potential to exploit must exist, and these opportunities arise out of the fallibility of man who is unable to create perfect code when writing service and operating system software. Which is very different to a script kiddie with a wordlist.

There are many different ways that a target can be attacked and the subject itself is complicated to say the least.

Community Veteran

Do you realise what you've just written? - an exploit must exist..

So a http, ftp, ssh server are incapable of having these exploitable security flaws?

Operating systems are incapable of having exploitable security flaws?

I never mentiond anything about script kiddies, you've come to that conclusion yourself from misunderstanding what I was saying.

In effect, I was saying the same as you - that the systems breached could have been hacked into via any number of methods BUT if it was a server software, then at least that could be shut down.

No point getting snotty with me just because you want to look big Mook, you're on a forum full of IT people - it won't wash.

Community Veteran

I did not say anything like "an exploit must exist", please re-read my post.

I'm not getting snotty with anyone, and I'm making no attempt to look big, what gave you that idea? I am also well aware of where I am posting.

Community Veteran

Whatever.

Community Veteran

I am not really bothered if the guy is guilty or not I was more interested in the answers to questions in my OP regarding any additional action it would be worth taking regarding security. ?

Let me put the question another way do any of you IT chaps use anything over and above a firewall and anti virus program? That question excludes those using Linux unless there is some specific package that can be added to increase security.

Community Veteran

Using unique passwords across all your online accounts is a good place to start, but the chances of you being hacked are exceedingly remote. Hacker’s aren’t interested in 99.99% of the users on the internet, their targets are corporate; as that’s where the data and money is.

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

The internet is a useful tool for everyday life........ but its downfall is ... its just not all that safe!

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Yes i know its not safe ,, You are here Buck2

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

St3 wrote:

The internet is a useful tool for everyday life........ but its downfall is ... its just not all that safe!

The internet is an "electronic highway"... and is as safe as a normal tarmac covered highway... or in the case of cyclists.... very safe... cos we have to assume they are all (hackers) policemen, that are allowed to ride on the pavement ! ..as well as give them a wide berth on overtaking them....... ( just in case .... )

( sorry for cross posting... just wanted to lighten it up a little ! ! )