cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hackers:

thisoldman
Grafter

Hackers:

seems crazy that the hackers managed to attack mastercard.what chance does joe bogg have against them?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Hackers:

I fail to see the relevance of the reference to joe bogg - it was a coordinated DDOS attack on the website
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11935539
Security experts said the sites had been targeted by a so-called distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS), which swamp a site with so many page requests that it becomes overwhelmed and drops offline.
They weren't hackers in that the website wasn't hacked or had it's security compromised
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: thisoldman

seems crazy that the hackers managed to attack mastercard.what chance does joe bogg have against them?

Anonymity.
The average home user isn't hosting a website on their PC or directly publishing who they are at their IP address. They're mostly also not upsetting groups of hackers either.
Granted you're always going to get the odd few who do choose to attack random machines but when you consider how many 'real' hackers there are against how many millions of connected PCs the odds are quite low.
As OldJim has also said it wasn't a skilled hack either. It was a DDos attack. This is basically where a botnet (a large group of computers infected with software which obeys remote commands) all attempt to connect to a webserver at the same time repeatedly and attempt to call a webpage. Few servers could withstand 10,000 requests per second repeatedly for hours on end. Most servers will start to slow down to a crawl or crash. Some data centers can filter the packets so that the servers don't become overloaded but it can take them time to do this. The actual security of the server isn't compromised (IE they don't get into the system) but they do unbalance it to the point where it basically can't cope.
I hope that explains it fairly decently..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 104

Hack the Planet!
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@okrzynska, thanks for the explantion, understand it now
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

np Wink I just hope the oldman does! He's not responded yet...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!