cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacker group Anonymous, stated its members would stop the internet on 31 March

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Hacker group Anonymous, stated its members would stop the internet on 31 March

[quote=BBC News]A recent threat, purportedly from the hacker group Anonymous, stated boldly that its members would stop the internet on 31 March.
The term "Operation Blackout" was coined and it caused much discussion in all the usual forums.
Those issuing the threat even stated how they would do it. They claimed they could disable the Domain Name Service (known by engineers as the DNS) and that would stop the internet.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17472447
Perhaps something to bear in mind if the internet is at a standstill on Saturday  Roll eyes
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Hacker group Anonymous, stated its members would stop the internet on 31 March

I honestly don't see it happening.
A while back they were going to take down facebook. Did it happen? No.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: Hacker group Anonymous, stated its members would stop the internet on 31 March

Not scheduled for 1st April then.  Tongue
More seriously, attempting something like that looks like a good way to make yourself unpopular and get yourself into a lot of trouble.
Heloman
Grafter

Why don't we all take a day off on Saturday?
Want to join in the attack ?
http://pastebin.com/NKbnh8q8 ;   Wink
I've been following this discussion in security groups for a week or more now. The "experts" say it might cause minor, isolated problems.
I'm happy just to wait and see......
Community Veteran

Since when did DNS servers use a 192 ip address?  Roll eyes
Like I said, I doubt it will happen and besides, most DNS servers cache their databases anyway so it's only going to cause a minor problem to ISPs etc who will just use their stale cache.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Can anybody come up a reasoned answer as to "why" they should want to do such a thing, assuming it actually is possible.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

The justification is in this YouTube video - Anonymous - Operation Blackout
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

But will the internet grind to a halt because of their attack, or just because everyone is talking about their attack Tongue
Seriously though, I assume it'll be a root nameserver attack, which has been tried before in 2002 and 2007 according to Wikipedia.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

I can't see it causing widespread problems as I suspect the root name servers are more than capable of dealing with this sort of thing. It could create a few localised problems though, we'll have to wait and see. I must admit, I am slightly sceptical about the date too. Assuming they're conforming to PST then it's going to be April fools day in a lot of countries.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

According to this nothing happened.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

As I thought Wink
James
Grafter

We took a precaution and downloaded a copy of the Internet onto a 3.5" floppy just in case.
Community Veteran

Hope you backed that up onto some 5.25's just in case  Wink
Community Veteran

Don't be daft... they used the much more reliable paper tape - 5 hole of course