Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC Bank scam alert

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

HSBC Bank scam alert

Hi folks....
many will be aware of the usual bank scams to get your details.... they look like a "proper" bank home page and require you to log in again to be able to use the service,
this one is an email type one just received...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Subject :  Online Access has been Locked
From; HSBC Bank plc <alert@hsbc.co.uk>
Date; 17:07

23 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: HSBC Bank scam alert

Many thanks as have HSBC accounts  Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Shutter, have you tried forwarding this to HSBC's security dept. I've something very similar when I was with Barclays (not with them now)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Yes, I did try, but their website is not very good for reporting things like this.... even the email address they give is not current. so perhaps they won`t mind a few customers getting ripped off by the scammers...  Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

when you get e-mails addressed like the two below, you have to be mad or Shutter to open it
Community Veteran

That's a regular scam email, I get various from different banks around the world on my hotmail accounts.  Then there's the ebay/paypal/**entercashsite** which I've not had in a while so due for a fresh batch with the run up to Christmas :/
Google which ever bank it is and CC it to their support email
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Normally banks include your name in any email that they genuinely send as proof it is from them.
nadger
Rising Star

HSBC does send out a newsletter that includes ones name.
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
when you get e-mails addressed like the two below, you have to be mad or Shutter to open it

@Pierre.... please credit me with a little more intelligence than that.  Angry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

didnt any one tell you that opening unknown e-mails can infect your machine with virus and trojans.. Probably ok to look at the machine source, but not to open it
Community Veteran

A couple of years back I received a highly plausible looking mail purportedly from Barclays, in the form of a security alert, it wasn't until you looked at it very closely and found a few spelling mistakes and grammatical errors that a rat was smelt (that doesn't mean that banks are above errors of that sort -they're not-) it even provided even more plausible looking links before it even begun to ask for any details. It was really quite clever, your personal security numbers or codes could be added almost unthinkingly.
But then I remembered the wise adage that no bank etc. will ask you for any of this information as email or in full.
Initially I phoned Barclays security dept, who asked me to forward the mail to them. I even got a call from Barclays (which I verified by ringing them back) thanking me but pointing out that they had had several instances of the "scam" and were investigating. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
didnt any one tell you that opening unknown e-mails can infect your machine with virus and trojans.. Probably ok to look at the machine source, but not to open it

@pierre
once again..... credit me with a bit more intelligence.....  Angry Angry
I did not open the email.... I did not click on anything, I copied it as it arrived as a warning to those less intelligent about these matters, and as a warning to those who do have the intelligence not to open dodgy emails, because this one is "different" to the normal type one...
use your eyes, and your commonsense, and read my original post again....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Shutter, Pierre,
Can you continue this discussion by PM please otherwise there will be a few posts removed.
Community Veteran

Awaiting apology by PM from Pierre Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sorry Jim and Gerry, but you cant copy a file like that unless it is open, althought it does seem to have been through  a virus checker