cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP shocking quality

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

HP shocking quality

HP is recalling millions of power leads/cords because of a design/production fault.  HP used to manufacture high quality equipment, but now it seems to let the book keepers from the Finance Dept perform design work and quality assurance.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
75 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: HP shocking quality

There is a thread already started about this Called
HP notebooks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: AlaricAdair
HP used to manufacture high quality equipment

Really? They used to make good printers but that was years ago and even then it was about the only quality products they made. Their computers were trouble, their tech support was trouble, their technical staff were argumentative and I even had PC world arguing with them once over a machine that was fubar'd - HP wouldn't believe the machine had any faults - depite a PC world tech telling them til he was blue in the face that he was seeing it with his own eyes.
I would never purchase another HP product in my life. We did have a HP all in one printer last year and it soon went back! They clearly haven't changed. Epson are even worse and although they only make printers / scanners (to my knowedge) I would never touch their junk again - I'd rather have HP than Epson.
Packard Bell however used to make exceptional products (and probably still do) but the two are easily confused due to the Packard part of the name.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 123

I've got an HP PhotoSmart all-in-one and it has given sterling service for 4 years.
I can use a fair bit of ink but the scan and print quality is excellent.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

PowerLee
Rising Star

I have several HP product's, never had an issue with any of the HP stuff that's been bought new from a shop.
The 2nd hand HP laptop I have was cheap due to a known but easily fixed design fault but it's been perfectly fine since I repaired it.
Nearly all manufacturer's of products will recall something of there's at some point
I've done safety re call work on equipment before, it's no big deal, potential safety hazard get's neutralised.
I see Rolls Royce recalled some of there products back in 2012, even the best sometimes get it wrong  Wink
Community Veteran

I have had a number of HP desktop PCs over the years and also an HP laptop. All gave/give very good service.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I've got an HP PhotoSmart all-in-one and it has given sterling service for 4 years.
I can use a fair bit of ink but the scan and print quality is excellent.

Yeah but good printers use minimal ink. I had a lexmark P4350 and the cartridges would last an age and the print quality was decent too.
Sorry Mav, I rarely disagree with you but on this I must. HP quality has been on the slide for years.
Fixes: 123

Quote from: 7up
Sorry Mav, I rarely disagree with you but on this I must.

No, you're not allowed to disagree with me Wink
I'm trying to think if I've ever had any HP products prior to the PhotoSmart for comparison but don't think I have.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I have two HP laptops here and a desktop, and have never had a serious problem with any of them, all still in use for a number of years. My laptop is usually booted up around fiveish in the morning and switched off after ten most evenings 365 days of the year.
Never been that keen on HP printers though, much prefer Canon.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Never been that keen on HP printers though, much prefer Canon.

This +1. We have a canon and I must say it's exceptional! Granted we rarely use it for printing but as a scanner it's the dogz! Print quality also seems very good and it's very customisable, has great features and a really solid feel about it. The HP all in one we had before that was very frail in comparison and the software compared to canons was also junk too.
It must be said though, I still prefer the konica-minolta laser printer we have that I freecycled. Had it four years now, completely free, still on the same toners and now it's networked with the network socket i fixed  Cheesy Print quality is exceptional on it too.
TORPC
Grafter

Clearly shows that they care more about money in the hope that all will be ok & there will be no need for recalls
They should spend time & money in developing products that are rigorously tested to the upmost safety standards
Not a good year for some manufacturers (is it) ?Huh
HP is not the only computer-maker to have been involved in such action over recent months:
In July, Sony asked for about 700 Vaio Flip PCs fitted with Panasonic-made batteries to be sent back. It had earlier recalled thousands of models using the same non-removable component in Europe and Asia following reports of units smoking and melting
In June, Apple urged owners of a USB iPhone charger adapter to exchange the item after saying it posed a safety risk
In May, Panasonic requested more than 43,000 laptop battery packs sold with its own brand of laptops be returned after some overheated and caught fire
In March, Lenovo recalled more than 37,000 Thinkpad notebook computer battery packs after reports that they posed a fire risk

Community Veteran

Quote from: TORPC
Not a good year for some manufacturers (is it) ?Huh
In July, Sony asked for about 700 Vaio Flip PCs fitted with Panasonic-made batteries to be sent back.

That says it all. There's a reason why you can always find Panasonic batteries in the £1 / 99p shops  Wink
Community Veteran

Well it seems that most posters on here have had good results with HP. Guess we all stick with manufacturers we like and can trust.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've had two HP scanners. The first worked well and lasted a long time before creating paper feed problems. The second more recent device was cranky and failed after 18 months. It was rubbish. Strangely enough, the Panasonic document scanner I've now had for five years has worked faultlessly and handles a relatively high volume of documents.
I used to buy dozens of HP PCs  for users/clients and they were reliable, if somewhat expensive.  However after all of these years of producing power leads it is inexcusable for HP to produce dangerous ones. Someone somewhere cut corners in the production costs/quality assurance.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

i think we all stick with the manufacturer we trust. On printers I've always used Epson. Always found them reliable over the years. If I'm buying something new I will always look at independent reviews and use them to make up my mind what to purchase.