cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP scam?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

HP scam?

I have received an email purporting to come from Hewlett Packard. Suggesting that there is safety recall for certain types of laptop batteries.
My anti-virus (AVG) thinks this is a scam, certainly the email doesn't look "right" I'm at a bit of a loss how or why this might be a scam, but I thought I'd pass it by you guy's first.
Has anybody else experienced this?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: HP scam?

Do you own a HP laptop?
Does the e-mail contain a link of any sort? If so does the link open to show the real HP website? (Don't just rely on where the link says it'll take you, in the same way that one can do this: www.bbc.co.uk.)
Community Veteran

@Be3G, thank you for responding. Yes I do own a (registered) HP laptop, and yes there was a link in the mail, it was pressing the link that bought up the warning message. In the intervening time since the OP I decided to ignore the warning and check out the link (yup! not wise if you think there may be a problem) however it does seem to be genuine, although it doesn't actually seem to refer to the model I have.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what e-mail prog are you using?
on any that I am in doubt about instead of opening the e-mail I look at the source.
In Outlook Express, right click the title, select properties, detail, message source, then look through it, you should see if the links are true or false
Community Veteran

@pierre. thank you. I'm using Thunderbird. This is partly my my problem, I have T/bird set not to load logo/advertising images etc., had I not done so I would have seen it was almost certainly genuine, which it definitely seems to be, and indeed after ploughing through the somewhat complex instructions, it does indeed seem that I should remove the battery and use on mains power only (I do mostly) and await the replacement battery.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

A couple of years back, Dell had a problem with some of their battery suppliers in China, and they were liable to explode... !  so they put out a recall notice, BUT it was only by chance that I heard about it.... they put up the serial numbers on their website to check if your particular battery was suspect, and if it was, then you were instructed to remove it immediately, and then contact Dell, for replacement/disposal instructions...
If you think yours is a similar situation, then there should be something,      somewhere  , on the HP website.... may even be under the "tag" number/serial number  for your machine.... (on the label on the undeside if they have one )
alternatively, use the "contact us" email section on the website  to query the email, with a copy of the header and subject lines.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Its taken them a while to get around to the recall over here then. Sad This http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09221.html was issued in the states nearly 2 months ago!!!
Community Veteran

@MisterW, yes, I noticed that the notification was originally dated May 2009.
I have received a follow up mail from HP, telling me my battery is not part of the recall (after the battery serial number was added to the questionnaire) in spite that the web page suggested it was.
Anyway, my thanks to all who responded, alls well that ends well.