cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HMS Daring enters Portsmouth.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

HMS Daring enters Portsmouth.

Historic day, for the Royal Navy...... HMS Daring, first of six type 45 destroyers, entered Portsmouth today at 13:00   Weather was very foggy, and it was not possible to get a good clear photo of her..... However, I did manage to do some "post processing" to improve the visibility of the ship....    As she passed the camera point, she was firing her guns in salute to the C-in-C Portsmouth, and to the City of Portsmouth.   An old tradition from a brand new ship..... Reportedly costing 1 billion pounds, it is twice the size of the Daring Class that I served on in the 1960`s.    Crew accomodation is first class.... 1960,   we had 30 to 40 men in a messdeck, a few bunks, but mostly slinging hammocks..... present ship has a maximum of 6 to a cabin...... with internet access, and probably sky tv too !.... We did not get tv once we left U.K. Waters, and were lucky to get a film once a week, on the upper deck, if the weather was fine !
If you want to see more info on these ships , go to the bbc website......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7852111.stm

just thought I would point out...... the smoke is from the guns firing..... not the exhaust from the engines. (gas turbines)
22 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: HMS Daring enters Portsmouth.

Quite a sight shutter Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Yes, It was worth the wait in the freezing temperature, fortunately it did not rain, as was expected to be a very heavy downpour....
just a shame the sun wasn`t strong enough to burn away the fog......
Yesterday it was beautiful down here......schedules is schedules though, and today was the day ! Smiley
techguy
Grafter

Great photos shutter, a truly awesome sight.
Jus as a teche side note, I think these are the ships that run a hardened version of Windows 2000 sometimes dubbed Windows for Warships.
Military hardware is always impressive, isn't it, must come down and look round Portsmouth sometime and go to Duxford as well.
Community Veteran

Good to see she made Pompey ok.
Last time I saw her was sliding down the slip into the Clyde.  Smiley Smiley Grin

Community Veteran

Great pics Shutter.  Thanks.  I bet it was a very impressive sight to see.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
.. present ship has a maximum of 6 to a cabin...... with internet access, and probably sky tv too !....

So what about PO/CPO's - how many to a cabin, and do all officers all get a cabin to themselves  Smiley - except the Mid's of course  Cheesy
StickyMick
Grafter

Damn, they get all the mod cons, these Jacks. Tongue
Nice piccies there Shutter. Wink
Heloman
Grafter

Wish I could have been there to see her, Shutter.
The Type 45's are a major leap forward, even tho' one TV newsreader complained that she had read it only had one bath!
Did you ever find a bath? No, me neither....
I remember the old Daring Class destroyers. Sheesh, I'm getting old :-)
Community Veteran

No, the only time I saw a bath was when the ship(s) were in dry dock for a refit, and we had to go ashore to wash/clean teeth/bath & use the toilets... Undecided
. not too bad in summer, but freezing cold in winter, as the bath houses were unheated,  Cheesy    and very big too! !...
If there is a bath on the Daring, then I expect it is for the skipper !
Originally 12 ships of this class were ordered, but due to various cost reasons, that was reduced to 8, and then eventually 6, with a "possibility" of re-ordering the last two of the 8.....
Community Veteran

But heloman - that Sea King is the wrong colour ? Smiley
It always annoys me when the TV news do a report a rescue and say an RAF helicopter rescues people, and then show the grey and red Naval Sea King  Angry Angry
I only got to fly the Whirlwinds  Sad
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter

Originally 12 ships of this class were ordered, but due to various cost reasons, that was reduced to 8, and then eventually 6, with a "possibility" of re-ordering the last two of the 8.....

What happened to the concept of a screen of ships protecting the capital ship - i.e. the new carriers. Are six destroyers enough for two carriers ?.
That's why they built HMS Bristol, and the 42's - to protect the carriers that were cancelled, and then so badly missed in the south Atlantic and almost lost us the Falkland's conflict.
StickyMick
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
It always annoys me when the TV news do a report a rescue and say an RAF helicopter rescues people, and then show the gret and red Naval Sea King  Angry Angry

Strangely enough, that's one of my pet peeves as well. Almost like them talking about the Tornado and showing a pic or video of a Spitfire. Crazy
Hope these new ships don't end up being a bit Chad Valley like everything else that our Airmen, seamen and troops have to put up with.
Community Veteran

What happened to the concept of a screen of ships protecting the capital ship

Having left the Navy in 1972, when the above was the "general fleet disposition"  ( we did not have much of a fleet then, either)  most "gunnery" was line of sight, either visually or radar controlled..... As missile systems have evolved over the years, I suspect the "footprint" of a carrier surrounded by 6 destroyers and 6 frigates, would make an easy target for the missile...... If it did get diverted by chaff, from the main target (the carrier) it would probably be homed onto one of the lesser ships...... 
I`m not up to date with current naval strategy, so maybe wrong on that !
techguy
Grafter

Very interesting thread here, I did watch the recent channel 5 documentary about HMS Illustrious and found it fascinating.
I think I'd have probably joined the Navy myself as from conversations I had with my Grandfather and what I've read it sounds a really great experience.