Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HGV drivers on britains motorways

pin2011
Grafter

HGV drivers on britains motorways

BBC 2 radio yesteday lunch time Jeremy  Vine
The discussion was on whether HGV should be overtaking, when the vehicle they are passing is only moving at maybe 1mph less than the overtaker. Yesterday on the M62 the number of HGVs overtaking with not enough power to complete the manoeuvre was common place. Personally I don't think HGVs should overtake on the motorways at all!
7 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: HGV drivers on britains motorways

there are experimental places in the UK with such a ban, the M11 near Duxford - its two lane and has a ban during the day, result long queues of HGV, can you imagine that, how long would the trail be on any of the longer roads be, with just one slow vehvicle at the front
kdiment
Rising Star

I don't think that lack of power is the problem. They mostly have plenty of power. They are, however, speed limited to 90kph (=56mph) and no amount of power will enable them to exceed that. If an incline causes a heavily-laden lorry to slow to, say, 86kph then a following one will pass it 4kph faster, and that can take some time.
There is also a hill on the A34 where HGVs are banned from overtaking, which is good for other drivers but hard on HGVs with tight schedules. The only real answer, I suppose, is 3-lane carriageways.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

HP introduced me to the phrase and sport 'Elephant racing' as a description of HGV’s overtaking, I’m a regular  spectator but not a keen advocate of the sport. All I can say is it just doesn’t hold the gripping cliff hanging suspense of a good old fashioned Caravan Race. I was fortunate enough to see this thrilling and rare sport first hand, in action, real time, live, yesterday from the outside lane of the M1. I witnessed a full 15 minutes of the engagement thanks to the thought and consideration of the driver of an ageing (M reg) Land Rover who had pulled out into the outside lane to overtake the participants, and who didn't see why he should go any faster than his preferred 50 mph.
When I arrived (part the way through), Inside track was a Bessacarr Cameo towed by a Vauxhall , behind which was a Swift Corniche being towed by a Toyota pickup, in the middle lane overtaking the two was a Bailey Regency being towed by a Hyundai People Carrier
The Bailey Regency had a ‘nose’ on the Bessacarr Cameo for the first 12 miles, it must have been gaining at the rate of 1 wheels width per mile, until we all hit the slight incline south of Sheffield, when the Bessacarr Cameo showed its hill-climbing capability, forcing the Bailey Regency to drift back and match the same speed, at this point the driver of the Swift Corniche must have lost his nerve (or sense of reason) as he swung dangerously into the middle lane, all three remained locked in combat until the Land Rover moved over and the excited throng of the very many caravan racing followers could continue at speed to the next event.
I was considering documenting a short tome entitled “Elephant race-tracks of British Roads”,  but I think the negative response from the Jeremy Vine show has put a stop to that.
Well it is Sat morning Roll eyes
nadger
Rising Star

There's quite a long stretch on A26 autoroute where lorries can't overtake ( Dunkerque) and it seems to work well - it is however flat without inclines.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

An M-reg Landrover is just getting into its prime, unless of course it was the previous series of M-Reg reg plates.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It is not uncommon to find long tail backs as a result of HGVs taking many miles to overtake each other, it's just as common to see them go for miles next to each other.
I suspect they have been the cause of many accidents.
x47c
Grafter

Quote from: kdiment

There is also a hill on the A34 where HGVs are banned from overtaking, which is good for other drivers but hard on HGVs with tight schedules. The only real answer, I suppose, is 3-lane carriageways.

'tis on Gore Hill leading up to "The ridgeway" on the northbound carriageway
Long been a bone of contention to locals ever since the dual carriageway was built
(Its just south of Didcot)