Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD Freeview recorder ?

MJN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: HD Freeview recorder ?

I'd third the recommendation to save extra for a Humax. It's often the non-obvious  things like a decent EPG that can really set machines apart and this only becomes apparent once you've tried a really naff one!
Either way stop throwing good money after bad with the likes of Bush!
jackoab
Grafter

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/prodCat.asp?cat=factory&type=stb
Try this link for Humax Managers specials, 3 models under £100.
Community Veteran

...........wake up in the back row.  That's the Humax link I gave in post #7 Roll eyes
jackoab
Grafter

@ artmo
Apologies, didn't open your link and went by HB comments in Post 8.
MJN
Aspiring Pro

Wake up in the front and back rows...  Wink
None of those (9150/9300) are HD recorders.
nadger
Rising Star

I think artmo has 9300 and I have 9150 - both SD and purchased as managers specials.
Cheapest HD recorder is £159 so above HB's prices but still great value.
The ability to watch BBC HD using iPlayer, and Freesat HD using Grundig tuner means SD recorder is more than adequate  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Quote from: DaveyH
You aren't going to get a decent FV HD PVR with the features you want for £100
I would save a bit longer and get the Humax, rather than persevere with badge engineered Harvard tat

Unfortunately SWMBO NEEDS it NOW, not in a few months time. Personally I would drop the TV licence totally as I never watch live tv.
MJN
Aspiring Pro

Unfortunately I don't think you're going to get any recommendations for an HD recorder below £100 because, frankly, any you could find would almost certainly be poor in terms of either capability or, as you've found, reliability.
Is SWMBO a child of yours? If so I would suggest reminding them that sometimes what they 'need' they can't always have. Smiley
Perhaps keep an eye on eBay if you're not doing already? That said, I'm still not sure if the second hand price of recommendable machines would be <£100 unfortunately (I can't check at the moment).
nadger
Rising Star

I've had a SWMBO for 50 years now - certainly not a child  Smiley
Affectionate term for wives - She Who Must Be Obeyed  Cry
MJN
Aspiring Pro

Apologies. I thought I was detecting, dare I say it, child like demands!  Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Quote from: nadger
I've had a SWMBO for 50 years now - certainly not a child  Smiley

I've got one of those - MY MOTHER  Undecided
certainly not a child - although starting to behave like one  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Or perhaps I should have called her "Her indoors"  Wink
@MJN I know I am not going to get a new box, but a 2nd hand/refurb one can work as well as a new one. But when I am getting my ear bent over the failures of her current box (18 month old bought as a refurb @ 1/2 cost of new one) missed recordings, channels missing etc, for my health if nothing else I need to replace it.
She was happy with the bush device. It worked well - when it worked - small things like resuming a stopped recording rather than replay from the start, advert skipping with the cursor keys, these worked fine. Whether it was a faulty hdd or something else I don't know but 10 hours of recordings took up 40% of a 320Gb hdd  Crazy The 2nd one lasted 1 hour, after watching a program it wouldn't change channel, I thought it might be flat batts in the remote but no so it is waiting for collection.
I have bought a 3rd bush of ebay, different seller so will see how this one behaves.
Community Veteran

May I make the observation, that while you're buying suspect Bush machines (your own previous experience would bear this out) you might end up better off buying the refurbished (and warranted)  Humax being suggested here. You may end up saving money in the long run.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
MJN
Aspiring Pro

I'd agree, but would put out again that none of the refurbished Humax models are HD recorders.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Just tell your Mrs - "NO MORE BUSH"  !  -  try typing that into google  Shocked