cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD Freeview recorder ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

HD Freeview recorder ?

I am in the market for a replacement freeview recorder. I have had 2 (so far) Bush HDPVR320's that when they work are fine, but the first one had issues with the hdd (started with saying overlapping timers when no timers active, had to re-format loosing all the recordings, then it froze on reboot) second one I got yesterday freezes on a channel and once rebooted when setting up the channels so going back.
Supplier doesn't want to ship me any more so looking for a replacement. (These were "refurbs" from an ebay seller)
Cost MUST be <£100.
43 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: HD Freeview recorder ?

Have a look in your local Tesco or Sainbury's. Ours nearby seem to have lots in the price range you're looking for.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

There are no HD recorders in that price range locally. I have looked. We had a Dion (Tesco brand) one (non hd) but it started giving more problems than solutions, hence the new recorder. (We have Tesco Extra/Asda/Currys to check in)
randpwar
Grafter

We've had one of below for a couple of years and the picture is excellent. It had a difficult birth with various firmware updates being required to stop it from 'freezing' but it doesn't miss a beat now. Many people have commented positively on the picture quality
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/300858899415?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&c...
Community Veteran

It doesn't seem to have iplayer, or is that just a duff review? Not a major killer, but handy to have.
randpwar
Grafter

Sorry HB, didn't realise you'd said that was a requirement but you are correct, it cannot connect to the internet. If that's a definite requirement than it's just not the set for you; if it isn't crucial then I can recommend the set unreservedly
Community Veteran

It just seems silly having a network connection and nothing to use it with.
I will keep looking but it is a possibility.
Community Veteran

Have you looked at Humax?  They have a section on their website for refurbs.  I bought one of their PVRs some years back and very pleased with it.
Humax
Community Veteran

I have a Humax HD freesat box that I got at a boot sale a couple of years ago. Now't wrong with it bar no recording, and freesat is missing some of the channels SHMBO watches on freeview. But checking on there the cheapest HD freeview is £150 so out of my league.
I have found another source for Bush ones so might try with a 3rd one. Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Have you considered building your own, using MythTV or xbmc ?, then you can get it to do whatever you want !  Cool
http://www.mythtv.org/
http://xbmc.org/about/
Community Veteran

I did consider it a few years ago, but cost of parts and POWER meant that a prebuilt one was cheaper.
E.g. freeview box on standby 0.5W/on 15W PC 20W/80W just not economical esp, with electric costs rising, I am trying to cut my power use not increase it.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Hairy
But checking on there the cheapest HD freeview is £150 so out of my league.
I have found another source for Bush ones so might try with a 3rd one. Shocked

You aren't going to get a decent FV HD PVR with the features you want for £100
I would save a bit longer and get the Humax, rather than persevere with badge engineered Harvard tat
Community Veteran

@DaveyH, I agree with you there.  Save a little longer and get a PVR that you know will work well. 
Community Veteran

Have to agree with the comments about Humax kit! They are just brill.
I have a Humax HD Freesat box (HDR 1000s) but it was not cheap. It is good though and very easy to use.
As the saying goes "Buy cheap, buy twice!".  Shocked
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

I also have to say their after sales service is excellent Smiley