cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

H.M.S. Queen Elizabeth arrives in Portsmouth - Wednesday

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

H.M.S. Queen Elizabeth arrives in Portsmouth - Wednesday

The Royal Navy`s new aircraft carrier, H.M.S. Queen Elizabeth, arrives in Portsmouth at about 07:00

( High tide time ) .

there is an interesting video on this site...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defence/road-closure-warnings-ahead-of-hms-queen-elizabeth-s-homeco...

With some "facts and figures" explained graphically...

At the time of writing she is in the English Channel, opposite Bournemouth,

hms q e.jpg

( She is the big blue one in the pic above! ! )

having made course down the west coast of e

England, and Wales. around Landsend, overnight...

hms queen elizabeth.jpg

Another "real" video of her manouvering out of port on start of journey.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defence/navy-confirms-hms-queen-elizabeth-will-arrive-on-wednesday-...

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: H.M.S. Queen Elizabeth arrives in Portsmouth - Wednesday

An impressive looking ship but i give it 15 years before they declare it out of date and in desparate need of replacement Roll eyes

IF you're there for the arrival shutter please grab some good pics - i'm fascinated by carriers

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@7up As proud as I am, of having served on an aircraft carrier, I am not inclined to get up about 5.a.m. to get down to the sea front, for a "good position".. to view/take some pics..  there will be plenty of opportunites for them as the year progresses, ... I will have to look up the QHM movements in and out of Portsmouth daily, so I know when she is next sailing...   Obviously, a ship of this size needs a High Tide  to enter/exit Portsmouth harbour entrance... which is not much wider than the ship itself.

http://eoceanic.com/images/harbours/436/xsimulated_image_of_hms_queen_elizabeth_exiting_portsmouth.j...

All water traffic is prohibited to enter or leave for about an hour either side of the ETA at the harbour entrance... ( that includes " small boats "..) and the Dockyard Police launches will be out and about to ensure it is safe for all concerned.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

its alright having the ship ,, but we got no Aircraft for her Crazy2

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

That doesn't matter... some folk have been having fun landing drones on it so it still serves a purpose Crazy3

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@7up   Smiley http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-40910087

Community Veteran

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Acording to the Defence DPT , she will be in the USA next year for tests with the F35,s

But would not have enough F35,s untill 2020 Crazy2

HMS prince of wales , will ready before the F35 

and the Navy wont use her Crazy2  mothballed

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Community Veteran

rongtw wrote:

HMS prince of wales , will ready before the F35 

and the Navy wont use her Crazy2  mothballed

Crikey I better put my patriotic bid in before the indian scrap yards then... or Putin who doesn't have a port big enough to build them himself!

You reckon they'll take twenty quid? - I could do with a nice little riverboat.. Cheesy

Community Veteran

7up wrote:

An impressive looking ship but i give it 15 years before they declare it out of date and in desparate need of replacement Roll eyes

IF you're there for the arrival shutter please grab some good pics - i'm fascinated by carriers

@7up for some really good pics.... scroll down this page,

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2017/august/16/170816-hms-queen-elizabeth-...

and then use the < > on the right side for others ...

Community Veteran

@rongtw  As for the aircraft...   from my previous link...

"  The UK has 11 state-of-the-art F-35 Lightning II jets and 120 UK personnel training in the United States. By the end of this year that will be 14 jets, with trial flights from the carrier's deck on track to begin next year.  "

With any new ship, it takes time to get all the systems fine tuned, and the crew using those systems trained up to be able to use those systems for the safety of the Pilots, and the ship.   You cannot just build an aircraft carrier and immediately put it to sea with jet aircraft and expect it all to work ... ( to quote a fez headed guy  -  )  " jus like that "

and it`s not just the pilots who need to be trained... there is also the "ground crew"... Aircraft handlers, flight deck safety team. medical crew, emergency fire fighting, crash removal,.  air traffic control, communications.. etc etc.. all these systems have to be practiced, and practiced, until they are perfected as far as possible.  only then, will they allow the aircraft to proceed with trial landings,  to test the systems.

Community Veteran

Yet when the Falklands got invaded our dear maggie put a load of harriers onto helicopter carriers and said "go!" just like that! Until that point (as I understand) it had not even been thought of.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/17/ministry-defence-facing-hundreds-millions-hidden-costs-ne...

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/f-35b-jet-primary-weapon-hms-queen-elizabeth/

And i believe the F35,s will not be capable of use on HMS queen Elizabeth until 2023 ,, 6 years to wait 

Community Veteran

@rongtw

From your Defence journal link

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Merlin helicopters were the first aircraft to begin flying from HMS Queen Elizabeth and they will soon be followed by other helicopter types and eventually F-35s in Spring 2018.

The UK currently has 12 F-35s with more being delivered.

In order to prepare for operating from HMS Queen Elizabeth, Royal Navy sailors have also trained alongside their US Navy counterparts on the flight deck of the amphibious assault ship USS Wasp.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

From my previous post for your edification !>..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The UK has 11 state-of-the-art F-35 Lightning II jets and 120 UK personnel training in the United States.

By the end of this year that will be 14 jets, with trial flights from the carrier's deck on track to begin next year.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don`t understand your conclusion that they won`t be on board/"capable of use"  until 2023.