cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

H.M.S. OTUS British Submarine, now German Tourist Attraction

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

H.M.S. OTUS British Submarine, now German Tourist Attraction

I remember seeing these subs awaiting their fate alongside a newly built motorway link road, into/out of Portsmouth.

The scrapyard does not do so many ships now ! ! ..

Very interesting to see that an old sub from the 1980`s has been rebuilt by the Germans, and put on display as a Submarine Museum,.... complete with Union Flag on the mast !...  and 80,000 visitors a year too !

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/heritage/otus-the-portsmouth-submarine-that-refused-to-die-1-7708224

13 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: H.M.S. OTUS British Submarine, now German Tourist Attraction

Here you go Shutter from Mr Google Smiley

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Erlebniswelt+U-Boot/@54.5121345,13.6415003,3a,75y,46.53h,97.2t/d...

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Is that the correct place for the Union Flag, should be the Naval Ensign surely? Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Yes, they can use the Union Flag on there ,...

They cannot use the normal  "white ensign" of the Royal Navy, because it is not "in commission"...

The white ensign signifies that the ship has been "commissioned"... or "accepted" by the Royal Navy, and a "commissioning ceremony" takes place to hand it over from the ship builders to the Royal Navy...  Ships will also "wear" a "commissioning pennant"   ( a long white triangular flag with a red cross on it ).. on the mast head.

Normally a Union Flag, is hoisted at the bows, and the White Ensign is hoisted at the stern, on ships that are "at anchor" or tied up alongside the wall........  when "under way"... only the White ensign is worn, at the stern, 

Minivanman
Hero

Thanks shutter, ask a man that knows! Wink

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it....."

Samuel Johnson (Boswell's Life of Johnson)

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

and to think.. the germans can now legitimately claim they have captured one of our subs..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero

Captured you say? At the very least I would have thought we'd given it to them Wink

Community Veteran

@Minivanman  If you read the story,... you will see that they actually bought it.... towed it back, and then 6 weeks later it was in good order and open for viewing !... now THAT is an achievement in itself.

Minivanman
Hero

I did read the story shutter and saw no reference about buying it. So much for speed reading!

Community Veteran

Here it is  !!! 

*************************************************************************************************************************************

Franka Strübing, of Erlebniswelt U-Boot (submarine experience), told me: ‘The buyers of Otus had a shipping company in Sassnitz,

*************************************************************************************************************************************

Minivanman
Hero

Ah right, although I assumed some money at least would have changed hands as a hulk of that size would have had decent scrap value.

Memo to self: Must read slower at my age!

2u2me
Aspiring Pro

i have never been inside one, but they do seem cramped and claustrophobic, must of been a terrifying experience when they were being tracked and attempting to be located, yet their torpedoes did cause much damage. 

Minivanman
Hero

Much damage indeed, and not only to the sinking of ships but to the whole philosophy of naval warfare and capital ships.... and yet they still build aircraft carriers.  

As for those cramped conditions......  nightmare in the making, but were they not paid extra for serving in them?

http://www.scapaflowwrecks.com/wrecks/royal-oak/sinking.php

Community Veteran

@2u2me  there are a few videos on youtube.... this one, although a bit "hurried" in places,.. gives a pretty good idea of how it was...

note the bunks for sleeping, folded up against the bulkhead (wall).. to provide room for sitting at the table for meals and games and letter writing.  

@Minivanman

Yes, there was an extra payment "per day" .. to serve in subs.... this was partly "incentive" and partly "compensation"..

I think, if I remember, when I was in the navy  1960 to 72... ( and boats were much more basic than the Otus,, larger crew, and less comfortable).. the pay was 6d per day...  ( 2.5p in todays parlance).  or 3/6d per week. ( 72p ).

however, wages were not so good then ,... so any extra, was welcome...   (didn`t tempt me to volunteer though ! ! !).