Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

H D T V

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

H D T V

or..... Highly Darkened Tele Vision...

Why do producers/directors/whoever..... think we all iive in a world of half light? Many tv series are shot with very poor lighting, which, negates the technology in HDTV... or indeed in "ordinary" TV sets. 

When TV first started, it soon became apparent that there needed to be a certain amount of light, to be able to transmit the programmes... now, it appears to be the opposite.... the less light they can use, probably saves thousands of pounds on the electricity bill, but it makes for very depressing television. 

Even "office" scenes, and "outdoor" scenes, where there is good "ambient" light, are spoiled by the use of dark filters on the camera lenses... 

If those producers/directors/whoever think it is a way of portraying "realism" .... I think they have got it wrong .....

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: H D T V

Fully agree, some of the old B&W films had more light in the darker scenes than todays colour films.

Community Veteran

Look at the light and bright colours in old shows like Bonanza and Star Trek. You can enjoy the stories because you can see them.

Things can get a lot worse. Some new shows have also forgotten the "stage whisper". So as well as not hardly seeing the show you can hardly hear it as well.

Too much realism is definitely a bad thing.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Exactly, it is like a TV advert for a UHDTV that'll be seen on either a standard or high definition TV; pointless, and if you already have a UHDTV then you don't need the advert!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

But surely,   having a "hig definition" t.v. is a waste of money, as you cannot see anything, let alone in "High Definition"... or am I missing something, about Hi Def darkness  ? ? ? 

Community Veteran

Mook wrote:

it is like a TV advert for a UHDTV that'll be seen on either a standard or high definition TV

Ads for TV's always use a nice bright colourful picture that looks good on any TV.

Remember the old Hitachi ads with the flamingos. I used to catch myself thinking yes great picture must be a really good TV.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Excessive white space removed.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

billnotben wrote:

Mook wrote:

it is like a TV advert for a UHDTV that'll be seen on either a standard or high definition TV

Ads for TV's always use a nice bright colourful picture that looks good on any TV.

Remember the old Hitachi ads with the flamingos. I used to catch myself thinking yes great picture must be a really good TV.

How do this amount of blank space happen

EDITED to remove the majority of the lines

Community Veteran

I'm still seeing them here all 1700+!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

not in my post you aren't

Community Veteran

No of course I meant the original, but as you said you'd edited it thought you'd changed the post, but of course you can't have not being a mod any more, silly me.

Community Veteran

Hmmm don't remember all that white space when I pressed the post button.

Then again it's difficult to spot white in white.