Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guns

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Guns

Watching a program about Walmart and the sale of Asda.

Picture of a Walmart store in America and they were selling guns, imagine buying your shopping and putting a semi automatic gun in your trolley.

Going back about a year or so I got a email from some American firm selling a range of guns, emailed them to say they were illegal in this country and got a reply with apologies but it made me wonder what would have happened if someone getting that email actually ordered one, quite likely it would never get sent but if it did I guess they would end up being a guest of her majesty.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
9 REPLIES 9
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Guns

I bought a pair of blunt-tipped scissors from ASDA and the self-service check-out required a member of staff to authorise the purchase.  Can't imagine what would have happened if I'd bought a gun and ammo.

Sometimes shops go too far, like when I tried to buy a Pritt stick (commonly used by primary school kids) and the purchase had to be authorised by staff because it was glue. 😀

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 53

@Jonpe wrote:

Sometimes shops go too far, like when I tried to buy a Pritt stick (commonly used by primary school kids) and the purchase had to be authorised by staff because it was glue. 😀

That rule is not to be sniffed at ...............

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

...because they have to stick to it.  Laugh

Dijon Vu - the same mustard as before

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Not one for guns m'slef, in fact I have never even handled or fired one but crikey, it's easy to see why half of all Americans own or have access to a firearms - but what a perversion of their Constitution as the way I understand it the right to keep and bear Arms was from the days when they did not have a standing army as such and needed a militia for a States security.

As it stands we all go naked into an increasingly violent world and one where we are no longer surprised to see a copper with a semi automatic weapon on our streets and airports but hey, not to worry, I can always shake my walking stick at somebody should they dare to wave a machete in my direction! 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yep when I went to Florida, I remember going to a WalMart.

I was just shopping (honest gov - *looks for a police icon - can't find one*).

I just did the usual, canned stuff or anything which is easy to cook (or for me easy to nuke in the oven or microwave as I still do now).

Browsing through the isles I found the gun section, and there were people there (younger than me at the time) who were interested.

Not the kind of thing you'd expect from a supermarket. If I were into that kind of thing (I am not by the way) I'd imagine I would have gotten myself into quite a bit of trouble at the airports. 😛

Oh Well as Fleetwood Mac said.

Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

Some of you may recall that in Micheal Moore's 'Bowling for Columbine' where if you opened a bank account you'd get  a rifle or maybe shotgun as a new account gift, and this was handed to you over the counter.

It takes a very special kind of mentality for that to be generally acceptable.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I read this week that Walmart had taken guns and ammunition off sale in stores due to civil unrest and potential looting!

Mark

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@Mook 

Yes I do recall that, and it was like a different reality.

Come to think of it, that's exactly what it is.... and which is why I live in the real world with my phaser always set to stun! 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Reminds me when I went to Australia, I stopped over for 2 nights in Singapore, and Hong Kong on the way back.

A friend of mine told me how strict singapore is, death penalty for any drugs and chewing gum is illegal. Not that I care, as the only drugs I have to take are legal ones and I don't chew gum.

We went to a bar, ordered 2 drinks. £10. Now you're used to the "ask for the bill before you leave" business model when you order a meal. Not 2 drinks.

Walked off to a bar next door, ordered 2 more drinks.

Me (thinking): "Weird - they don't ask for money upfront. You have to ask for a bill".
Me (thinking): "Hang on a minute"

So for those into accountancy I left with 130 Singapore dollars, checked my wallet and I still had 130 in the other bar.

Me (To my friend once I realised I still had the 130): Oh [-Censored-].
Me: We didn't pay!
Friend and Me: Lots of swear words.
Me: What do we do?
Friend: Let's just go back, order 2 more drinks. Make sure we pay this time and see if they say anything.

We did, paid that time and they didn't. Yey, nice one Alex so technically I've done a runner without paying. Though it was accidental.

On Hong Kong on the way back back, I remember walking past a jewellers when the security guard had a shotgun. I guess that works. I'm thinking, well you don't see that at Hatton Gardens in London. (For those who don't know, it is near where I used to work and is a popular jewellers street).