Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gungy stuff.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Gungy stuff.

Anyone used this stuff for waterproofing OSB sheeting?bbpaint.jpg

It's solvent based so it should soak in, and it's not like the thick bitumen stuff that you can get (it can be painted on). It's to treat the covers of an external store I'm making out of OSB (because it's fairly cheap and strong). Anyone know if it's likely to be good for this application? I can't think of anything else to use, apart from roofing felt, and I don't like that because it doesn't seem to last five minutes.

12 REPLIES 12
Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

Re: Gungy stuff.

I wouldn't think so @nozzer as OSB isn't meant to be used externally, as as soon as it gets moist it bloats up. If you can't find anything else I'd be inclined to give the boards a couple of (under) coating of a thinned down linseed based varnish first.

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 92

@nozzer 

I would use corrugated roofing sheets. Just put your nails or screws through the top of the corrugations, not in the valleys.

Community Veteran

@Mook 

You got me worried now! The stuff I've got says internal and external structural use, so I assumed it would be ok for outside with a coat of something to waterproof it. I know it splits untreated but I just assumed as it says external it would be ok. Oh well. :undecided:

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@nozzer 

Not a lover of OSB board and have to agree with Mook about the paint.

Not sure what sort of of external store you are making or for what purpose, but this is mine which I made about three years back to store firewood, and I covered it with a sort of corrugated bitumen sheeting. Easy to cut with a hand saw but, you must use something like WD40 on the blade otherwise it sticks and snags. 

Happy building. :thumbsup:

IMG_3052-min.JPG

PS. Onduline

Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

It's an external odds and sods store where we can sling wellies, plant pots etc.. Your wood store looks good. I shall have a rethink.

Ta for the help.

Highlighted
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

We have an external store for wellies, plant pots etc... it's called a greenhouse! :wink:

wotsup
Champion

TTman
Seasoned Pro

@nozzer  Looking at @Minivanman picture it looks like a good job.Maybe you ought to employ him to do it. As another plusnet member maybe give you mates rates:thumbsup::undecided:

idonno
Seasoned Pro

@wotsup wrote:Try this

Yep can't be beat. I got mine from Wickes but they all do the same job.....keep water out. And last years.

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Community Veteran

@TTman wrote:

@nozzer  Looking at @Minivanman picture it looks like a good job.Maybe you ought to employ him to do it. As another plusnet member maybe give you mates rates:thumbsup::undecided:

@TTman    I've got a handy local son-in-law for such things! And it's free, well, as free as it can be. :grin:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Minivanman 

Certainly have done a good job there and very hard improve on that but.........

Did you consider using some Welsh slate, that would look very posh.

:wink:

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I used some when I built my front porch, but at around a £1 each even for used ones they would have been an expensive option for just a wood store. Nice idea though.