cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gun Laws

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Gun Laws

We have some of the toughest gun laws in this country and I am all in favour of that but in the 1950's I seem to remember that when the fair was on some of these stalls had rifles that actually used bullets, of course the guns were secured to the stall by a chain and were single loading.

Does anyone else remember this or have I got it wrong. ?

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Gun Laws

I'm still quite young and I too remember that, .22 rifles and air guns as well, unless I'm losing it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah, but....... those fairground people were, and still are.... a law unto themselves...

Community Veteran

I remember seeing piles of bullets for fairground rifles in the early sixties. I even picked up a few. My Dad took them away from me after he caught me trying to take them apart in our shed.

I think guns were fairly commonplace back then and knew several people that had one. As a kid of course it was fascinating to play with one.

All old service revolvers of course. I still remember hearing a loud bang when I was a kid playing in my back garden. I found out later that was my neighbour blowing his brains out in his shed with his.

----------------------------------------------

One other thing I just remembered. Those fairground rifles, unlike the air guns, used to be well chained down so you had a very limited forward shooting angle. There was no way you could even turn it sideways enough to shoot the operator.

bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

I couldn't imagine some random fairground having .22 lanes and targets. I've been to plenty of game fairs where you can clay shoot though. And Northern Ireland is the only place you're still allowed to own a hand gun for sport. Spent a day at a range years ago shooting a Browning Hi Power. That was a great day out.

@billnotben a peeler did that in our local police station just a few years ago, came back to desk duty after being signed off sick. Hadn't had his own service weapon returned to him, but managed to get another officers service weapon and walked into the station toilets and shot himself. Another one shot himself in Portrush police station in February this year.
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I'm sure it was later than that with those .22 rifles. Great fun, but never hit the target!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 47

An uncle of mine lived in a country cottage surrounded by fields.

We used to visit and sometimes he let me shoot his single shot rifle and his air rifle.

When he died we went down to clear some items from his cottage.

I asked but my mum and dad wouldn't let me take the guns.

I was 15 at the time.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

@Minivanman probably the things never got sighted, or they were sighted against the shooter.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I remember them, I'll bet they had a tiny load of powder in the cartridge.

At approximately the same time one of the games for the local lads was to sneak into the private fishing ponds at an old gravel pit. "So I'm told" you could find strips of 303 machine gun bullets in the mud at the side of the pond. I believe they were quite rusty clips but the brass casing were largely untarnished. At some point  old war time ammunition had been dumped or stored there, but whoever I asked about it denied everything.

It was alleged but never proven that a certain young boy, whom I knew very well, used to recover cordite from the rounds.

Life was more simple then.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.