cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gun Control to Major Tom

Thunderclap
Grafter

Gun Control to Major Tom

Cool a pretty freakish project from Planet KickStarter - a genuine space gun.
For real, the Starfire Space Cannon is a 13 meter long barrel that fires stuff from the ground into sub-orbital space, and beyond. Meant as a means of providing cheap access to space, project creator Richard Graf from Cochrane Ontario says, "almost any type of payload that can be imagined can be launched from the Starfire Space Cannon." Any payload that is, that can withstand the almost ballistic 10,000G acceleration. Graf goes on to add, "in the wrong hands this technology could be extremely dangerous."
You can back the project with your own money, and get a tee-shirt.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1682852725/the-starfire-space-cannon?ref=footer
13 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Gun Control to Major Tom

Welcome to Space Garbage that will cause more issues for more space junk cleanup From the Community forums favourite online Epaper
What happens if any flying objects knock out any of the satellites that we need to use on a daily / hourly basis ?Huh
Community Veteran

Quote from: Thunderclap
Any payload that is, that can withstand the almost ballistic 10,000G acceleration.

I'm finding it hard to think of any useful payload that could stand that.
Possibly water/gas container supplies for the space station?
TORPC
Grafter

A net for collecting the aforementioned space junk, if only there could be a way for it to survive that useful payload ?Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I find this very idea worrying. Anything that can fire objects with enough force that they enter orbit must surely be capable of potentially altering the earths orbit?
We really don't want to explore this idea.. at least thats my opinion anyway.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think it is an explosive subject...  Roll eyes
TORPC
Grafter

it could Back Fire at any moment  Cheesy Roll eyes
Fixes: 125

Is it really viable or just a shot in the dark? Cheesy Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

its a projectile disaster waiting to happen Roll eyes
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: 7up
I find this very idea worrying. Anything that can fire objects with enough force that they enter orbit must surely be capable of potentially altering the earths orbit?
We really don't want to explore this idea.. at least thats my opinion anyway.

it would rather depend on how they are generating the thrust,
also I'd like to point out that a certain nation played with giant guns and found that anything less than 250 meters barrel length wouldn't achieve orbit as the gravitational slowdown coupled with air speed resistance meant the projectile lost too much velocity before being able to attain low orbit.....(that's inside the ozone layer) never mind getting dispersed into outer space,  iirc they were utilizing electro magnetic pulse technology to achieve the thrust on the grounds that they would otherwise of required a few thousand tonnes of explosive propellant 
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
also I'd like to point out that a certain nation played with giant guns...

I rememberd that Iraqi Supergun too. I think it was meant to shell Israel rather than blast the Arab World into the space [debris] race. Even earlier last century, huge guns exchanged payloads across the tranches and the English Channel. I think if this was a technology that really worked then Virgin Space would be Virgin Howitzer? I have no doubt about this guys sincerity, but as a launch system, I wouldn't want to be on the same continent as the test range. Still, for $1, it may be worth a shot...
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Although the Iraqi example was based on explosive propulsion, there was another nation that designed built and tested various sizes of rail gun.
the thrust to weight ratio for advanced weaponry dictates that you would require a 4 gigawatt electrical generator to provide the necessary energy to propel the inert capsule of that size further than 5 miles, never mind the fact the collapsing field would cause havoc to unshielded electrical & electronic  equipment within 15 mile radius of the discharge point, and totally ignoring the shriek effect on any connected equipment  ( for those unaware a shriek is a non nuclear EMG utilised to perform non destructive takedown of electrical power distribution systems)
your quite right about not wanting to be on the same continent as the weapon though
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

Look like Iraqi's have lost more than the plot
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,123674.0.html
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
... there was another nation that designed built and tested various sizes of rail gun.

Cool That was for America's Star Wars space weapon programme. President Ronald Ray-Gun thought America could protect itself by filling space with giant lasers, death rays and X-wing fighters. That said, hypervelocity railguns have found a practical but still experimental use, being mounted on US Navy ships - you need a huge generator and a huge capacitor to charge the system - so for now, only a ship is big enough as the battery platform. I suspect the guy in Canada is using some kind of propellant layer-cake, which is a chain of small explosions detonated microseconds apart. The result is more bang for the buck. Even so, I cannot help thinking his canon looks suspiciously like a street lamp pole without the lamp on the end? But then looking outside now, maybe my council has it's own top secret space war programme?