Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Guinness good for you - official

Just got over his hangover
Tastes much better 50%G 50% cyder
Fixes: 47

That's sacrilege Pierré.......to the Guinness I mean.
A bit like contaminating good Vodka with additives masquerading as mixers.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
johpal
Grafter

When I was a student in the NHS (circa 1970), Mackeson used to be prescibed, particularly for women suffering anaemia. Like  many fun things in the NHS, the practice seems to have died out. Unless you know better...  Wink
SRD
Grafter

Personally, if I'm going to mix it, I prefer a gin in my Guiness, bottle conditioned of course, but one summer's day we invented rugby cricket whilst drinking Kingsley Amis shandies; into a pint silver tankard (we didn't have silver so made do with whatever we could find) place a single gin, add a bottle of real Guiness and top up to the pint with ginger beer.
Speaking of stout as a tonic; my maternal great-grandmothers had very different upbringings, one was an ordinary working class woman who enjoyed her bottle of stout with her dinner (eaten at lunchtime of course), and, in order to stifle the children's curiosity, would always refer to the drink as her 'nasty medicine', a tradition we still maintain.  The other signed the pledge as a child and alcohol never passed her lips until, in her old age and feeling a little unwell, the doctor suggested that she needed a little tonic and couldn't do better than a drop of Guiness each day.  She took him at his word and drank a medicine glassful from a pint bottle each day.  Can you imagine the state that beer was in by the time she reached the end of the bottle?  Nasty medicine indeed.
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
And the date of the article is...
Page last updated at 11:20 GMT, Thursday, 13 November 2003

Hmm, didn't spot that. It was linked from the BBC News front page yesterday under 'Most popular stories', but then, there is another old story there today about the guy who started with a paperclip and ended up with a house after a series of swaps. I wonder why those are suddenly the most popular?