cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guess who threw the wrong keyboard out

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Guess who threw the wrong keyboard out

Having had a major tidy up I threw out my usb gaming keyboard as all the letters in the left hand block had worn out (QWESDX as used in playing games) knowing I had two other keyboards.

Just need to access the BIOS in my better half's PC and the Logitech wireless keyboard wouldn't let me despite making all the normal BIOS changes for legacy USB connections and both keyboards have PS2 connections and all the adapters I have work the other way round (allow USB keyboard to connect to PS2 port Embarrassed)

So had to spend vast amount of money getting one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292033216260 - thank goodness for Ebay - to allow me to connect the keyboard to the front USB port as the computer is sat under the desk

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Guess who threw the wrong keyboard out

Yeah... always a pain, when you decide to have a clear out.... 

On the subject of letters on keyboard disappearing.... ( through use )... I cannot understand something that has happened on my keyboard .. I do touch type a lot... and so it would be expected that the most used letter aka the most common letter in the english language usage... the letter E.. would be the first to disappear... nope ..it was the letter A..

Fixes: 123

On my keyboard just the N has faded completely with half the M gone and part of the S.

The centre of the Caps Lock is missing and the left Shift is half gone.

P.S. I think this keyboard is over 7 years old.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Reminds me of the time at work, I always used to get told off for hitting the keyboard too hard. I eventually broke a key off, and funnily enough it was the Delete key. How ironic. Grin

Though the Mac which I mainly use now is a combination of a US/UK keyboard. I assume they don't wan't the hassle of different versions.

Will have to start using my PC again and get used to a full UK one. My main issue with keyboards is having one without all the [-Censored-] such additional buttons such as launch browser etc. I use the F keys quite a bit and I hate the ones that have all the additional buttons you don't care about but with tiny F keys.

Luckily I got a Microsoft keyboard without all of that with decent sized F keys.

Community Veteran

Interesting (but very boring fact). Did you know you can type "typewriter" (without quotes) all on the top line of a QUERTY keyboard?

I think I was told that at school or college.

Sorry I will stop with the bad jokes now Tongue

Fixes: 123

@Alex

Never understood why some people feel the need to bang out each key press. Surely that makes it slightly harder, hence longer, to type?

The middle row of letters is great when emailing ASDACheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

except when you hit Caps Lock by accident

now my old keyboard had a partially recessed Caps Lock key

Community Veteran

I know, it is just habit.

Someone asked me to look at something on their laptop and I got told something like "Go easy on the laptop keys" Smiley

Community Veteran

Oldjim wrote:

Just need to access the BIOS in my better half's PC and the Logitech wireless keyboard wouldn't let me despite making all the normal BIOS changes for legacy USB connections and both keyboards have PS2 connections and all the adapters I have work the other way round (allow USB keyboard to connect to PS2 port Embarrassed)

If it's a Logitech K400r (or similar), they swap the Function keys round with the Accessory/Feature keys, so to access say F2 or F8, you have to press the Fn key aswell, otherwise you find that you can't get into things like the BIOS...

Community Veteran

Access Bios is Del and the normal F1, F2, etc. keys are the default with the other ones needing the Fn key as well

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Alex wrote:

Interesting (but very boring fact). Did you know you can type "typewriter" (without quotes) all on the top line of a QUERTY keyboard?

I think I was told that at school or college.

Sorry I will stop with the bad jokes now Tongue

how do you spell typewriter with these keys ...

Esc F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 F7 F8 F9 F10 F11 F12 PrtScr Insert Delete ? ? ? ? ? 

or maybe, `1234567890-= Backspace   if you want the typewriter keyboard top line. 

Third line is qwertyuiop[] return... so could use that in emergency I suppose  ! !!  Cheesy

Community Veteran

@shutter I mean the top key of the alphabet.
Also how many times have people mashed random buttons when the PC starts up to try and get into the BIOS. I know I have 😄