cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guernsey & Jersey

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Guernsey & Jersey

On a recent visit to Guernsey & Jersey I was surprised to learn  that neither were in the EU.
Cost  of things in the shops is similar to here.
VAT, what's that  ? They don't pay VAT, Road Tax, no they don't have that either but added 3p to the price of a litre of fuel.
Whilst they are likely to have their share of poor and unemployed residents looking at the large number of detatched houses on both Islands would suggest there is little shortage of money.
Certainly worth a visit if you have never been before
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Guernsey & Jersey

@gleneagles, any 'poor and unemployed residents' as you describe will only be people born on the Islands or there in the short term. The Channel Islands will not let anyone settle there unless they can prove they meet certain financial criteria. Many years ago you had to have £1m in the bank but I'm sure this will have been increased by now.
I've only been to Jersey and agree with you. It is a lovely island Smiley
Community Veteran

My old neighbour moved there.
He did marry a resident though.
She wasn't a millionaire so he spends his time picking spuds / tomatoes / carnations and the like. Apparently there's plenty of work for the non millionaires.
Community Veteran

Here's an interesting site for anyone wanting to know about the rules etc.
Immigration to Jersey
Community Veteran

been to guernsey a few times, certianly was a "poor area" of the island, but I am pretty sure they have rules as is a fair amount of wealth on that island and crime is very low.  Is a very nice place.
arent amazon warehouses there as well for tax reasons?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

We had a holiday home in Poole Dorset, and would regularly take the car on the Condor Ferry to either Guernsey or Jersey for the day when it used to sail from Poole Harbour <we don't have the holiday home now, and while we were there Condor moved its operations to Weymouth, which could be horrendously difficult to get to. However they're back in Poole again now I believe> But a recommended way to travel to the islands.
Both islands are delightful to drive around <except St Helier on Jersey> and yes there are some "poor areas" on both islands, someone has to do all the essential manual/menial jobs, they can't all come from the mainland daily. We found not all of the islanders are particularly friendly to tourists, in this respect personally I thought Guernsey rather better in this respect, so generally I preferred to go to Guernsey, Mrs P would rather go to Jersey for the shopping, when prices there were somewhat cheaper, but that was several years ago.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

PS. We never had any trouble getting on a ferry in Poole although we didn't book (except the first time we used Condor). We just used to turn up very early and joined the standby queue never failing to get on. The return trip was even easier as the last couple of trips were almost empty, we did get return tickets with a booked return though, but we often used to take an earlier one with no problems.
We have also been (just the once each) to Alderney and Sark. On Alderney I was eaten alive by marauding insects, don't know what they were, the locals didn't know either saying they'd never experienced anything like it before. Some people were completely unaffected by them others (like myself) were not. When we went it was surprisingly busy with so many tourists bumping into one another.
Sark I didn't like at all, I don't mind a bit of gentle isolation but this was too much for us, particularly Mrs P who couldn't wait to get off it. Tourists were not actually discouraged (then) but certainly it seemed not made to feel very welcome. This was before the Barclay Brothers began to reportedly make life difficult for residents.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

When on Guernsey I always found Herm island a pleasant and even more quiet place to visit.
That was a few decades ago so maybe its changed.
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
On a recent visit to Guernsey & Jersey I was surprised to learn  that neither were in the EU

That would be because the economy is almost entirely based on them being a tax haven  Roll eyes
Not a bad plan for a population of few thousand people, not so much for a population of 60 million  Grin
Quote from: artmo
The Channel Islands will not let anyone settle there unless they can prove they meet certain financial criteria. Many years ago you had to have £1m in the bank but I'm sure this will have been increased by now.

That's exactly what I remember, too but I can't find anything that actually quotes numbers.
There's something about criteria that need to be satisfied - presumably the income/asset rules - and more about the two-tier housing rules that reserve most lower end housing for locals while doubtless gouging anyone else.  No problem with that, given the everyone else are almost certainly tax exiles not prepared to pay their share in their home country.
randpwar
Grafter

I used to spend all of my free time on Sark as I was lucky enough to have a friend that lived with an islander who ran horse drawn carriages. 
It is one of the most beautiful places I’ve been to. I know Petlew found it a little too isolated and, of course, I respect the view, but I particularly loved the place when the last boat had taken the day visitors home leaving just the ‘locals’ (quite a few seasonal workers also). You really did feel that this small island was your entire universe; especially considering this was before mobile phones and t’internet (and of course before I had responsibilities like SWMBO and kids etc  …lovely feeling
Sunday’s were great as well as we used to go in their speedboat to Guernsey for a Chinese and back about 9pm. They have such huge tides there that we had to climb about 20 odd feet up a ladder on the harbour wall at Guernsey then, in the evening, we just step down into the boat!   
Although the island is only three and a half miles by 1 and a half it has 48 miles of coastland, most of which you can walk to. My typical day was to choose a direction, walk down tracks to the coastline and spend hours savouring the views. Then maybe wander around for a while and very often catch up with friends in the Bel Air. I remember one time helping my friends move some horses on a leadrope from one field to another at the other end of the island which meant leading it through the main crossroads (La Collinete from memory) where the carriages line up waiting for customers and the end of The Avenue where the shops and island stores are, hence lots of locals and tourists milling around and lost to freak out horses. Huge horses and I wasn’t, at that time, used to being around them. I asked how I stop the horse and my mate said ‘just move if front of the horse and say ‘halt’, I asked what to do if that didn’t work……no reply at all!; luckily the horses are pretty much bullet proof temperament wise. 
I watched through binoculars the boats coming over non-stop to build the Barclay brothers monolithic castle (monstrosity I call it) on Brechou. They’re pretty unpopular….allegedly  Wink
http://ebenezerlepage.blogspot.co.uk/
gswindale
Grafter

We spent a week on Alderney this time last year - wonderful island it was too!
Only downside was the Aurigny flight to/from Southampton - the only time I've flown in a sardine can with flip-down seats!
Great island - really enjoyed the "tube train" ride!
Plenty of walking to do - I think it's the only recent holiday we've had where we didn't have a car.
greyposter46
Dabbler

When I was in the MN,one of my smaller ships sailed to and from ST Sampsons,not far from ST Peters Port.