cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guarantees,

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Guarantees,

Some are not worth the paper they were written on.
We had some double glazing fitted two years ago. Last week the window would not open, no problem I thought as we had a guarantee.
Phoned the company only to be told, yes Sir, the window frames are guaranteed for 10 years and the Glass for  5 years but the guarantee does not cover the handles and we charge £ 49 for fitting a new handle.
Took a look at it myself and found the square pin or rod had come out, fixed it myself in 2 minutes but I wonder how many people have ended up paying.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Guarantees,

I had a similar experience with a window several years ago (but a very different outcome), the windows were fitted by a smallish local company and a couple of years later one just wouldn't open (possibly the same problem as above) but when I telephoned them they arranged for a fitter to visit, at a time to suit me, the next day.  It took minutes to fix but he then checked and adjusted the mechanism and offered to check all the other windows.  Not so much a guarantee but a company that builds a good reputation (and gets business by recommendation rather then expensive marketing).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The same kind of thing occurs with local garages and main dealers. My nearest Toyota dealer discovered five years ago (they said) a pin-hole leak in the exhaust down pipe and were prepared to fail it on MoT for it. A new down-pipe? oh no sir, we only fit complete systems...£915, after I picked myself up from the floor I politely declined.
Took the car to my local garage that I have been using for 14 years on and off with the information from the main dealer for MoT and told them about the alleged exhaust leak, I wasn't trying to hide it. They took a very long hard look at the exhaust but could find nothing wrong, certainly no leaks, and anyway they said, they would have welded it for the cost of an hours labour, at that time around £80.
Its only in the last few weeks that a worn engine mount has caused excessive movement in the cat-converter flexi-joints that look as if they will soon crack, this can't be welded so will need the down-pipe now...cost, well it needs the cat-converter as well so the part is £130 for a good quality replacement plus fitting, so I'm not going to get much change from £250. The main dealer would of course have been quite happy to charge me nearer £1000 for the exhaust plus fitting.
Before you mention it, KwikFit and others like it didn't want to know, they don't carry stock for my car, and would need to source from Toyota for...yes, you've guessed it near £1000 plus fitting.
Moral: cultivate a good rapport with local traders, it pays dividends in the long run. Needless to say I have not returned to the main dealer.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
itsme
Grafter

Is it the main dealer fault of the car manufacturer? Especially with Toyota as I don't think they are independent dealers anymore.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quite right itsme. The local Toyota dealer is one of several manufacturers handled by a well know group, but you wouldn't think so on entering the premises. But it would hardly change the pricing of parts policy.
The only thing I've ever had from them is large quantities of junk mail, in spite they promised hand on heart and hope to die that I wouldn't get any.
I don't have a problem with Toyota cars (I'd have another tomorrow) but I do have an issue with the (ok not Toyota themselves) dealer system, that seems to me the only interest is parting customers from large amounts of money for very little in return, they even charge for a cup of tea if left waiting for work being done on your car.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
itsme
Grafter

I got a Toyota brought from my friend 12 years ago just before he lost the dealership because Toyota wanted to control the prices which they could not when they had independent dealerships as it's illegal.

PowerLee
Rising Star

Petlew - Get in touch with Toyota UK customer service's & make your feelings known about the dealer  Wink