cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grumpy Old Men in Essex

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Grumpy Old Men in Essex

It seems there are a bunch of "grumpy old men living in Essex, at Walton - on - the - naze....
They have set themselves up as the "Bah Humbug Club". and have regular meetings in a local pub....
See if you can recognise anyone from the PN forums here.....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7779067.stm
20 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Grumpy Old Men in Essex

It's the ghost of Christmas future for me  Wink Cheesy
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sorry dont go to Walton or Frinton to stuck up for me Grin Grin
Community Veteran

I kind of agree with them to be honest. I'm not feeling very much in the mood for Christmas this year owing to various reasons, and yet I can't escape from it. Every time I watch TV I get bombarded with Christmas adverts and trailers for Christmas programmes/films; every time I go out I see naff decorations/lights strewn all over the place and/or out-of-tune carol singers... and doing mundane everyday tasks becomes more difficult because of the Christmas rush - e.g. trying to send non-Christmas letters/parcels in the post or by courier on time is virtually impossible, because everything's slowed down by all of the Christmas post. It's not that I don't believe in Christmas, and that I don't want other people to enjoy it... just, I don't feel I have much to celebrate about it this year, so I resent having it - and the fact that everyone seems to have more to celebrate than I do - forced down my throat for a whole quarter of the year.
Ironically, I quite like Walton-on-the-Naze too - I went there for a day trip with a friend earlier this year. Huh
Thunderclap
Grafter

You know, if I was grumpy and in Essex, the first thing I'd rail against are those freeking Christmas songs. You know, the ones they play in the stores to make us feel 'festive' - and spend more money. No, we are NOT "simply having a wonderful Christmas time." We are in Sainsbury's trying to hunt down the last block of marzipan on planet Earth. And if I was 'walking in the air', then I certainly wouldn't have to find a fricking car parking space!
Season's greetings  Angry
BTW I remember Walton as being like Frinton, but with Chavs.
Community Veteran

Well at least it's not Frinton, the town between Walton and Clacton.
They had their first pub fairly recently  Shocked
Community Veteran

@ Thunderclap.....  Well Said That Man  Lips are sealed Lips are sealed Lips are sealed
Community Veteran

You know what they say, "Harwich for the continent, Frinton for the incontinent"  Cheesy
John
Community Veteran

Yes - I recall a TV programme some months ago about Frinton, and the campaign by some Grumpy men and women to keep the old railway level crossing gates  complete with crossing keeper.
Did they succeed or have Network Rail replaced it with a new barrier crossing with CCTV controlled from Colchester signalling centre ?.
Community Veteran

Only Pierre will know...... if he doesn`t..... he`ll  google it !  Cheesy Grin Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the level crossing question seems to have gone dead, havnt heard it in the news for a while, bye the way, Frinton now has a Chippy and pub
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just to please you lot found this, http://forums.digiguide.com/topic.asp?id=23966 but still not the answer to the question
Community Veteran

That`s good news then, Pierre.... the chippy and the pub......
perhaps some people will want to live there now....
and when they have drunk themselves silly in the pub, walked (almost) to the chippy, they can then eat them whilst watching the old man close and open the level crossing gates......
Any more excitement, and the place will get over run with "incomers" wanting to share the joy.....! Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

pierre_pierre
Grafter