cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grout!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Grout!!

Problem: Black mould on shower tile grout, next to impossible to remove.
Tried: Bleach, vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice (sounds like a cocktail).
Solution?: Short of digging it out with a grout rake, I've read that a steam cleaner works. Anyone any ideas?
34 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Grout!!

Mr. Muscle usually has some product that works..!...
Did you use "light" bleach or THICK bleach..... sometimes it needs to be mixed with some washing up liquid and sprayed on... the washing up liquid helps to slow down the "draining" aspect of the bleach running down the walls... Or apply it with a NEW nail brush, making sure you have lots of foam...
Community Veteran

Tried a solution of Oxy-whateveritis, which is supposed to be a powerful bleach. Worked a bit but the mould seems to be part of the furniture!
Community Veteran

I usually dig it out and replace it with some decent grout such as Mapei. That stuff seems to be a lot more mould resistant than the DIY shed offerings.
Community Veteran

It's a cruel job though!  Sad
Community Veteran

Baking soda paste with a few drops of (100%) tee tree oil. Use a small scrubbing brush to clean the surface of the grout. The tea tree oil help prevent the return of the mould.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

At my club when they have the problem in the steam room they jetwash it and that solves the problem for a while.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Paint over the mouldy grout with white emulsion! (may need a couple of coats) - purpose made 'grout reviver' also available at higher cost.
After painting the emulsion sticks well to the grout but can be relatively easily cleaned off the tiles (if glossy) leaving just the grout with a coat of paint which is easier to clean than grout and can always be re-coated when it starts to look too grubby.
You can even use coloured paint for pretty effects (red painted grout, for example, can look nice with plain white tiles if you like that kind of thing).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro

steam cleaner works a treat at killing the mould spores, re grouting will only serve to give you clean grout for a year or two before it returns
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

At my club when they have the problem in the steam room they jetwash it and that solves the problem for a while.

Not sure that would go down a treat in a domestic situation!  Cheesy
Community Veteran

steam cleaner works a treat at killing the mould spores, re grouting will only serve to give you clean grout for a year or two before it returns

The reason I thought of a steam cleaner is that there's a video on Youtube of a bloke cleaning a tiled floor with one and it seemed to work well, but there wasn't any black mould, just dirt. I might give it a try. Means buying a cheap one though.
nanotm
Pro

then get the quest hand held pico cleaner there normally around a tenner,
its the one we started with before upgrading to bigger better unit, the pico is still used for odd jobs but its so small it's useless for bigger jobs however we now have a Bissell steam mop with removable hand held and long flexi hose so we can do the windows etc as well as the floors,
if you have lots of laminate/lino/stone/tiled floors a steam mop is a lot better than a mop and bucket just be sure to buy extra cleaning cloths because they get gunged up rather quickly Smiley
Fixes: 47

I have a steam wallpaper stripper and if I remove the 'tray' affair from the end of the pipe I have what's effectively a steam cleaner.
I'll give that a go on my tiles and see what effect it has.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nanotm
Pro

on reflection I have to say that "just steaming" wont get rid of the discolouration caused by the mould, it kills the mould and stops it from being harmful, regular use of a steamer will prevent mould growth, if your aim is to get rid of the discolouration then your going to need to take additional steps like using a grout pen on top of the steamer,
but I'd also like to point out the steamer will work well as a window cleaner (with a squeegee blade) and for cleaning out the oven and anything that's greasy (it literally bubbles off the layers of filth) I've used mine years ago to clean a car engine block (which made it shine like new) and even remove lime scale or other filth from places like the toilet or the bath /sink although for that sort of job you would probably want something more substantial than a pico hand held unit  due to its small water capacity
@strat
only if it comes with the nozzle handle adaptor, when I had an earlux machine decades ago it did but some of the newer units are designed purely as a stripper and wont work as well (lack of directional nozzle etc)

another thing to note is it has a warm up time so don't by a unit that doesn't have a ready light (normally a 3 colour yellow =on/ red = empty /green= ready for use) or you might find yourself making things wet rather than using the steam power Smiley
Fixes: 125

We recently had some plastering done on the outside wall and more tidying up inside the bathroom after the ceiling collapsed last year. The grouting between the tiles around the bath was in a poor condition so the builder simply covered t in a layer of silicon. It looks ok and has lasted a month or so up to know. Not sure if this is really a long-term resolution or not Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still