cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green Phone Box ( Solar Box )

Steve
Pro

Green Phone Box ( Solar Box )

In the capital of Scotland, and England and indeed the complete UK...London Is getting green phone boxes for charging your mobile. Good Idea I reckon.
Disused phone boxes in London are being put to a novel use - as solar-powered charging stations for mobile phones.
The first of six boxes was unveiled on Tottenham Court Road this week.
The service is free to use although users will be shown adverts as they wait for their phone to charge.
Technology reporter Dougal Shaw checked one out with Harold Craston, one of the team of newly-graduated students from London School of Economics who developed the concept.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29458587
12 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Green Phone Box ( Solar Box )

Yep it sure is
However I don't know how it would fair off from the wandering hands that want yours as theirs aint good enough to sell
It's bad enough they take out of your hand or pick your pocket, now another way to obtain what is not theirs (perhaps)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

So how does that work then? - Most mobiles take several hours to charge up.
Do you just plug it in and walk off and hope nobody takes your valuable iphone6 away?
Does it have lockable pigeon holes that where you put your phone, take the key and then come back to collect it later? (I can see terrorists loving that).
Got to be honest, the idea seems completely bonkers to me.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

7up you wouldn't need to totally charge your mobile lol, 5, 10, 15 minutes would be enough to get you out of a pickle. These solar boxes would be much better of in rural areas or towns rather than a city in my opinion though.  Your cars broke down in the highlands, you just realised your phone battery has died but just there on top of the hill is a solar box!! Saved lol
Fixes: 123

I assume only one person can charge their phone at a time therefore hogging the box for the duration. What if that one person wants to spend an hour or more charging it up?
From memory spending more than a couple of minutes in a closed box that smelled of urine wasn't my idea of fun Cry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

I have been discussing this with SWMBO & co
It would also be beneficial, if they would also incorporate those free internet kiosks, that way then there, whilst they are waiting, is another outlet, for
(say children) to contact their parents to let then know that they are safe, or Vice versa
Jobless to look for jobs,
In the event on an emergency contact the emergency services,
look up the local area & what is about (especially if new to the area)
What could you add to the list ?Huh
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I wouldn't use one unless I had one of those charge only adaptors because you don't know what those data harvesting devices will do with your data, its yet another gimmick to get people to hand over their phone data to private conglomerates to harvest and use as they see fit, if they added in a free internet terminal it would track every action you performed to build a data table of what people do in a booth.....
i wouldn't use one to charge my mobile
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Well they could always go one further and actually put a payphone inside them too!
Then when your mobile has a flat battery you can actually ring people from it  Crazy
Community Veteran

It could work like the boxes at airports. You simply plug your phone in and lock it in a box for security. You can then leave the phone to charge until you return to it. The service is charged for at airports AFAIK. personally I think this is a silly idea. Why do we want more street furniture cluttering up our pavements.
Fixes: 123

I doubt if I'd use one for charging. Who would be responsible if there was a power surge that bricked the device (or could that not happen)? I'd also be concerned, even standing with the phone, that someone may attempt to steal it.
When out if my phone gets to around 30% charge then I turn it off and only turn it back on for short periods when I really need to make a call which, incidentally, isn't that often.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: 7up
Well they could always go one further and actually put a payphone inside them too!

I think they removed a lot of the payphones specifically because now 'everyone' has a mobile 'nobody' uses public payphones anymore.  Also they used to often be vandalised, I guess this will also be likely to happen to some of the new phone charging points.
Will these charging boxes have all the necessary adapters?  They'll need at least micro-usb, Apple 30 pin and Apple 'Lightning' (I doubt they'll bother to provide the old round pin Nokia or any of the dozens of old proprietary connectors).
Might the adapters not be at risk of getting chopped off the end of leads?  Apple fans removing non-Apple adapters because 'oiks' don't deserve to use the charging facility, Android fans cutting off Apple adapters because anyone stupid enough to pay that much for a phone should have to pay to charge them ....
Quote from: artmo
Why do we want more street furniture cluttering up our pavements.
I think these old telephone boxes are already there so not necessarily more street furniture.

If these are solar powered then will they be incapable of charging a phone at night?  Tongue
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
You simply plug your phone in and lock it in a box for security.

Quote from: 7up
Does it have lockable pigeon holes that where you put your phone, take the key and then come back to collect it later? (I can see terrorists loving that).

Lets hope not artmo eh?! Although if the pigeon holes were clear perspex I could see it working well but even so, whats to stop terrorists putting explosives inside a mobile phone casing and then legging it?
Community Veteran

@W23, I wonder how many phone boxes are still on our streets. I think a few may still be around in heavily populated areas but most were removed elsewhere. The old boxes have become collectors items. A company near where I live buys them from BT and sell them to individuals.
@7up, you could say the same of any street furniture such as litter bins - although some of these were removed years ago for security reasons.