Did you mean: 

Green Flag Recovery

nadger
Rising Star

Green Flag Recovery

Just received renewal notice from Green Flag

Recovery Plus with 3 years No Call Out Discount £95.70

On line quote for Recovery Plus £72.60

Albeit I only did 1,200 miles last year ( including 2 trips to France/Belgium) cover is an essential at nearly 82.

On line application went through with no problems but must have detected that I was already a customer.

19 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Green Flag Recovery

Sounds a good price although always worry about what sort of restrictions these things have especially for overseas travel. What age is your vehicle?

I took an 'older' Range Rover to France a few years back and it conked out on me down south and they refused recovery to the UK because "the vehicle was to old" - yet they'd accepted my £75 I think it was for two weeks cover. This was the AA by the way and not Green Flag.

To say I was annoyed is an understatement especially because of the stuff I had on board.   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Been with them for years and only used their services once.....very efficient.

Here is a odd thing, a few years ago they wanted around £100 for renewal that covered two cars, told them that was a bit expensive so they changed the policy to two named drivers, ie myself and swmbo.

That provides full cover for any car including our own which we happen to be in irrespective of us either being the driver or passenger. By full cover I mean car and up to 5 people taken to any reasonable destination in the country.

Sounds too good to be true and does not make much sense to me but I have phoned them on a second occasion to confirm that this was correct and they assured me it was ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`ve been on the 2 star policy with this company for about 10 years now...

https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakdown-cover?gclid=CKKm6unp0NECFVAQ0wodA1oBkg

Had a couple of call outs.... and been carried back home on both occasions...  both small problems, but not able to fix at roadside...

Minivanman
Hero

@shutter @gleneagles

Do those policies cover you for overseas travel though?

What would be needed would be a full recovery of a vehicle back to the UK as putting it into a garage in say France or Germany for repair, then having to possibly travel home, and then return to pick it up......

It's what I finished up doing despite as said having paid out for that extra insurance. The cost of hotel, garage, and two way return trip went through the roof..... as did my temper. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

@Minivanman read the website.... ! 

https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakdown-cover/european?gclid=CKT1lp780NECFdU_Gwody6AFdg

Don`t go abroad... so not interested in that .....

Minivanman
Hero

Well now @shutter, I did better than that. I actually asked the guy who was selling me the insurance as I was waiting for my train at the Chunnel and he assured me 100% that I was covered for a full return of my vehicle. 

I guess what I was asking was, did anybody have a similar situation and/or experience but obviously, you never have. As for "reading the website", how about reading those terms and conditions laid out in five downloadable PBF files? 

Do you read terms and conditions? No, me neither which is why I got it straight from that horse's mouth - the trouble was he was talking out of the other end whilst selling a policy to Mr Gullible here.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Minivanman wrote:

@shutter @gleneagles

Do those policies cover you for overseas travel though?

What would be needed would be a full recovery of a vehicle back to the UK as putting it into a garage in say France or Germany for repair, then having to possibly travel home, and then return to pick it up......

It's what I finished up doing despite as said having paid out for that extra insurance. The cost of hotel, garage, and two way return trip went through the roof..... as did my temper. 

Sorry, no idea.

I would not drive abroad at my age.

Smiley

Community Veteran

From the website.... ( second linky provided )...

______________________________________________________________________________________________

As well as roadside assistance and recovery in the UK and Europe, European breakdown cover from startrescue.co.uk includes a range of features such as cover at Home, Alternative Transport, Overnight Accommodation and Key Assist

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Minivanman
Hero

So no home recovery then?

I do have a reason for asking by the way as I'm half thinking of attending a family reunion in France later this year - but my 06 Fiesta needs a back-up plan!

I suppose I could always hire a car but I don't have dosh coming out of my ears. 

Community Veteran

I would hope anyone thinking of taking a vehicle abroad would have it checked out first.

I get free breakdown cover with my bank account. I think I could extend it for Europe for a payment.

Minivanman
Hero

Indeed @artmo but unless we have x-ray eyes and a crystal ball it's very difficult no?

Only so much we can check on a car before we set off on our travels hence the need for some honest insurance cover. 

Community Veteran

I was referring to having the car checked by a professional - garage, AA etc

Fixes: 122

artmo wrote:
I get free breakdown cover with my bank account. I think I could extend it for Europe for a payment.

The breakdown cover with my bank includes Europe.

Includes RAC Roadside Recovery, At Home and Onward Travel in the UK, and European Breakdown Cover

European Breakdown Cover services
European Breakdown Cover will provide assistance where the breakdown occurs whilst you are abroad in the European countries designated below. Your eligible vehicle will be fixed at the roadside by a contractor or  recovered to a local garage for repair or, if this is not possible, you will receive overnight accommodation or an alternative form of transport.

If your eligible vehicle breaks down on the outward journey from home to the departure port or on the inward journey from the arrival port to home we will provide roadside assistance and recovery, and arrange a temporary replacement vehicle to complete your journey to/from port.

European Breakdown Cover is provided for a maximum period of 90 days for any one journey.

There are exclusion like vehicle cannot be old than 11 years for the European cover.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@Minivanman Not sure what you are asking... Home recovery is applicable on 3 star and 5 star  on the original linky

You have to scroll down the page to see all the "options" 

European rescue, to me, would mean that the vehicle and passengers would be returned to the UK home address.  However, as I am not interested in that option, I would not be bothering to read it... perhaps you should read the website, rather than asking questions on this thread.   ( and I don`t mean that in a nasty way ! )..