Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green Deal 'could lead to deadly summer overheating'

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Green Deal 'could lead to deadly summer overheating'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23180965
Temperatures could soar to dangerously high levels in some homes insulated under the government's flagship Green Deal scheme, experts have warned.
Energy-saving measures designed to save on winter fuel bills and protect the environment could pose a risk to health during summer heatwaves, they add.
The government says it is aware of the problem and is taking steps to prevent overheating in Green Deal properties.
Homes in densely populated urban areas such as London are most at risk.
Heat can build up during the day and has nowhere to escape at night leading to poor air quality and a greater risk of heat stress for the occupants which, in extreme cases, can kill.
Haven't they heard of an interesting little device called a window which you can open
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Green Deal 'could lead to deadly summer overheating'

I have a number of these devices installed in my house Cool
What a strange report. What steps are the government taking.....issuing leaflets nationwide on the correct use of the aforementioned window? Grin
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

Opening windows is not much use if the outside temperature is 30c
When you have extreme temperatures that is life threatening people retreat indoors for protection. Not much use in the temperature is the same. Currently in my house it's cooler than outside, with lower rooms cooler than the upper ones.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

My house is insulated etc. to the same standard as the "green deal" and it is also much cooler than outside during the day but when it cools off in the evening I open the windows
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The problem with "superinsulated" housing isnt the heat from outside because the insulation will prevent heat coming in through the walls as well as heat going out. so that will equalise. No the problem is dispersing heat generated from occupancy. Bodies, television, cooking, baths and showers etc. Cool
Have a look at the ZED Factory products. http://www.zedfactory.com/zed/
Their homes are so well insulated they put ventillators on the roof much like having the windows permanently open Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I am confused. Surely insulation not only keeps heat in when indoors is hotter than outdoors it also keeps heat out when outdoors is hotter than indoors.Therefore a house that has been well insulated should be cooler than one that has not. The only problem would be if a lot of heat was generated inside the house. This could be allowed  to escape at cooler times of day.
itsme
Grafter

When I help a friend to move house 5 years ago on a very hot august day, short distance between houses and many trips in a van. It was very noticeable that the house he was moving into was several degrees cooler than the old house, in fact it felt very chilly. I put this down, as it was a new build large high spec detached, to glass used in windows and insulation.
My house on the other hand with its solid walls can take days to cool down once the bricks have heated up, which probably be in a day or two if the hot weather last.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: alanf
I am confused. Surely insulation not only keeps heat in when indoors is hotter than outdoors it also keeps heat out when outdoors is hotter than indoors.Therefore a house that has been well insulated should be cooler than one that has not.

The problem is glass, been in a conservatory in the summer? This is why the article suggested shutters. Preferably fitted externally as then they can be locked but windows can be left open. 
Fixes: 47

Interesting this.
Current temperatures: outside 19.8  inside 26.4.
One window open....the south facing windows act like very good radiators, very welcome in winter but not required in summer.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
CaptainFantasti
Grafter

Quote from: PeterLoftus
Have a look at the ZED Factory products. http://www.zedfactory.com/zed/

Thank you for the link.
Most interesting.