cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green Assessment

deekay
Grafter

Green Assessment

Does anyone know anything about Green Assessments,please?
We are getting regular phone calls, with a recorded voice telling us that we are due for a Green Assessment.
Now, apart from these calls, we have not heard anything about a Green Assessment. So, I have done a bit of internet searching.
It appears to me that it is done by private firms, who will send someone out to thoroughly check our house and tell us what needs replacing/altering to make us 'more green'. I assume that they will automatically say that we need a new boiler, although ours is only a few years old. Light bulbs and light fittings must all be changed and we must have solar panels fitted!
When they have compiled the list, it appears that they will send others to us in order to give us their quotes and try to talk us into having the various things done.
Have I got this correct?
We are both in our 80's and are only planning staying in this house for about two more years. There is no way we will spend a fortune from our pensions for such a short time, just for very slight improvements.
Any information will be very gratefully received.
Many thanks.
Keith
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Green Assessment

My reaction is "Ignore them!".
If they call me or knock at my door I always refuse what they are offering. Only 2 days ago we were offered solar panels and politely refused them.
If, and when, I want these things I will select the supplier myself.
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

To be honest unless adding something will increase the value of your house when you sell it and that the increase in value will be more than the cost I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole
Virtually all, if not all, the improvements will have a payback time in decades so are totally non viable for you
You haven't given any details but assuming that you have lived in the property for a long time and haven't had any major improvements carried out it is likely that any buyer will be looking to rip out and replace the kitchen, bathroom and built in wardrobes etc. as well as any energy saving systems such as double blazing and improved insulation
This may be a completely wrong assumption in which case I apologise
However if you agree to have the assessment carried out you will then be put under very high pressure to spend a load of money
Community Veteran

Sounds like another scam Wink Do you have a phone number for them?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

http://www.which.co.uk/energy/creating-an-energy-saving-home/guides/the-green-deal-explained/getting...
Which is fairly factual but as you would have no intention of taking out a Green Deal Loan an unmitigated waste of money
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Unsolicited contact about something you know nothing about = ignore / refuse.
I don't do cold calling / emailing.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: NedLudd
politely refused them

That's often difficult to do and usually ignored.
In the end I find you have to be blunt.
Roberto0151
Grafter

I have had five phone calls today from these from these unprintable people. If I didn't pick up they left a message - the same as the automated call. On two occasions I tried pressing 2 to hear their "offer"  but all I got was an "unobtainable" tone.  1471 simply said they did not have the number.
Surely this sort of practice should be illegal ?
Fixes: 124

I've not had any of these calls but if I were then I'd just hang up.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Roberto0151

Surely this sort of practice should be illegal ?

They are illegal but if there's no phone number then there's nothing to report. They may even be from abroad.
deekay
Grafter

Thank you all for your replies. We really do appreciate them. Thank you also for the links.
You have all agreed that the phone calls are to be ignored. So, in future, when the recorded voice starts, we will just put the phone down. No telephone answering machine here, so they can't leave a message.
@Oldjim. We have lived in this house for 11 years. Since we have been here, we have had double glazing fitted, a conservatory built, the kitchen refitted, the bathroom and en-suite refitted, Built-in wardrobes, new carpets, new boiler, and so on. Not forgetting painting and decorating.  
We've spent enough money on this house, so, unless it is an emergency, we're not spending any more!'
We wouldn't let a 'cold caller' do anything for us. We choose who to ask to give us a quotation and decide if he/she will do a good job.
Thank you all again for the excellent replies.
Keith.

Community Veteran

I think with the green deal, the repayments are tied to the property. So if you move, you no longer have to make the repayments.
Community Veteran

And that could make the property more difficult to sell Wink
Community Veteran

Also be careful if the recorded message asks you to press a number to listen to the details or another number to be removed from the list. You may get connected to a premium rate number for your efforts Wink