cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Greek Election

Community Veteran

Greek Election

The polls have now closed and the initial exit polls give the left wing Syriza party up to 39% of the vote which could translate into 160 seats. If this translates into actual seats the Syriza party say they want to renegotiate  the terms of the Greek bailout.
We are in interesting times Smiley
65 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Greek Election

I suppose, that if they try to re-negotiate the bail out... they have some "clout" to change the original requirements set down by the EU to allow the bail out?
Oh no... probably not... so the EU will probably cave in...  and welcome them to go on spending in the same drachma manner as before, because it would be too "face losing" of the  EU to admit that they got it wrong in the first place, ( admitting Greece )... and again, when they bailed them out. ..... and again, after the re-negotiation....
It would be too much political suicide by the EU to have to "expel" a country, because they can`t pay their way... and have to shoulder the debt incurred by the bail out, after that country has left ....
Interesting...................... Very Interesting.............................
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I don't know if I mix in the worng company, but every greek person I've come across in life seems to be a devious cove always trying to wangle something to their advantage. If Syriza come to power I see it strengthening my opinion on Greek people.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Seeing as Greece actually presented a "wrong set of accounts" to enter the EU in the first place, wouldn't surprise me to see the EU eject them.
Quote from: AlaricAdair

a devious cove

that's being very polite Roll eyes
Community Veteran

This was such a great article - http://www.vanityfair.com/business/features/2010/10/greeks-bearing-bonds-201010
For the financially minded people, but it gave an insight into the 'real' Greece.
Community Veteran

Latest exit polls suggest a clear victory for Syriza.
Quote from: shutter
I suppose, that if they try to re-negotiate the bail out...

Something will have to give. The EU could relax the terms of the current bailout which will be acceptable to both sides. A co,promise will be reached.
Community Veteran

Syriza swept to power last night. They are one short of an overall majority so will have to find another party to enter coalition with but that doesn't present a problem.
They said last night they will immediately stop payments of their bailout money to the EU.
Community Veteran

That is a sensible approach. Payments should cease in both directions until a plan is agreed between the EU and Greece. At the moment giving Greece any more money is a bit like throwing good after bad.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well well.. Greece don't wanna know!

The little bar stewards have turned into Peter Ian Steakers and taken our money to keep them afloat and now voted in the anti-austerity party  Shocked
Now what? Will their country actually be booted out from the EU? If it is, I can't say i'll be sorry - why should we pay for their mistakes while we have to take the hit for it? Granted I don't mind helping anyone out if they're in a fix but they're wanting to turn their back on us now instead of sticking together and riding out the storm.
So.. what do you think will happen now?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

new post merged in even though I have no idea who or what Peter Ian Steakers is
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

You need to watch Hot Fuzz Wink  Cheesy
Peter Ian Steaker
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ old jim..... I think it is a way of getting around the forum censorship rules  Shocked
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Peter Ian Staker
Community Veteran

National debt per person
UK 35,450 Euro
Greece 38,760 Euro
Eire 49,851 Eur
Source: http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/#home
Community Veteran

Back to sensible again, thank you AA.
As predicted Syriza has formed a coalition. It is will the far right party Greek Independents.