Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Greedy Sky admits: We crippled broadband with TOO MANY users

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Greedy Sky admits: We crippled broadband with TOO MANY users

Sky has confessed it has overloaded its broadband service by putting far too many Brits onto its network.
The media giant told The Register that it has run out of capacity in certain corners of the UK, which has knackered its users' internet connectivity at peak times.
Subscribers to Sky Broadband Unlimited in Doncaster, North Wales and Bristol have complained of connections grinding to a halt especially in the past three months.
This is despite the company promising "we'll never slow your Unlimited broadband down, even at peak times".
Following a combination of an underlining increase in network traffic as well as an especially high rate of new customer additions, we are aware of capacity issues in a limited number of exchanges.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/22/sky_broadband_adding_customers_first_capacity_after/
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Greedy Sky admits: We crippled broadband with TOO MANY users

In other words they are making false claims and appropriate action should be taken by Trading Standards and the advertising authorities.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

But they won`t do anything about it... Sky is too big... and a "punishment fine" would not hurt them in the slightest.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I was listening to my local radio station a couple of days ago - I know but I was in the car  Shocked - and sky was all over it, advertising their bb and "having the best cs"  Undecided
jmd
Grafter

Can I just mention that my bb has been fine and I get higher speed than I did with PN - and they do admit that it is only in certain areas.
Community Veteran

Not like its the first ISP to do it though is it.
I remember a few years ago PN were accused of the very same thing with some people in the trade showing proof that their pipes were max'd out. Things have got a lot better since thankfully but I've never bothered with p2p since (just as well really because not long after the ACS thing came along lol).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
(just as well really because not long after the ACS thing came along lol).

You mean the "solicitor" that got charged with FRAUD over the letters sent by his company?
P2P is a good technology the problem comes in that some people abuse it. <says he downloading a 1.8Gb DVD by BT at the moment - mind you it is a Linux Distro  Cheesy>
Community Veteran

He got done for fraud? How come? I thought he was representing the music labels?
I've not used P2P for years now. I gave up after getting slower speeds than dialup - on a 8mb connection thats not very useful is it! Admittedly overnight was better but then the pesky voyager 105 that PN supplied would disconnect and fail to reconnect  Roll eyes I took that as a sign (after a few heated telephone calls) which in hindsight saved me a lot of stress as I could have downloaded tons of stuff otherwise!
Community Veteran

As far as I remember he was sending the letters "on the off chance" that you had been d/ling, if you coughed up then he was £'s in, if not all it cost him was the postage. That was the fraud, he wasn't proving that you had been downloading naughty things.
Community Veteran

You were aware that this thread is OVER TWO YEARS OLD?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Correction Sad Over 3 years old

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I got a $ky router (a crippled & neutered d-link thing) in a box of junk I bought off ebay (some goodies in the box too, like a shiny new £45 sony MP3 player!!), inadvertently left said router in the box with the paper packaging the seller uses frequently and burned the box in my firepit, it was only when I heard the capacitor popcorn that I remembered about the router... Funny

Community Veteran

When I went to school, 3 greater than 2, I stay with my comment.
Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

I got a $ky router (a crippled & neutered d-link thing) in a box of junk I bought off ebay (some goodies in the box too, like a shiny new £45 sony MP3 player!!), inadvertently left said router in the box with the paper packaging the seller uses frequently and burned the box in my firepit, it was only when I heard the capacitor popcorn that I remembered about the router... Funny

Pillock... you do realise they still make rather nice netwok switches don't you? - I have one here in the living room. Can't use it for a router (well dhcp does work and also as an AP) so it's just plugged in to the network as a switch instead. Got two printers plugged in and at night once pip squeek has gone to bed i plug a long ethernet cable into it so i can use the internet without wifi. This sky 'switch' is then connected via another cable to the switch at the desk which has a few cables plugged into it along with the desktop PC... (though i can't for the life of me remember if anything else is connected to that switch).

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Note that I said "a crippled & neutered d-link thing", I already have 2x D-link DIR-615 routers and a Netgear WNDR 4300, so a crippled, sky-locked, unmodifiable router, it was no loss...