Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Greedy MP Simmonds quits

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Re: Greedy MP Simmonds quits

Quote from: Oddball
I think I have the solution that may appease the posters on here here who object to the remuneration process applied to the people who represent them at Parliament.
Perhaps we should pay them the minimum wage. A tad extreme you may say but, rest assured, only the the experienced Parliamentarians should get the full rate of £6.31 per hour, the newbies should only get the apprentice rate of £2.68 per hour.
The pay rate will of course only apply when they in the House of Commons doing proper work. It wont apply at any other time.
To eliminate the possibility they may have some crumb of comfort in the evenings I would put them up in youth hostels or even better in homeless shelters, although there may be a problem getting receipts for their expense claims from these establishments.
I think this would be brilliant, we would save lots of taxpayer money on salaries and expenses.
I know this was suggested, tounge in cheek, but sadly this would make the situation worse as a number of MP's have additional income to what they get as a MP, some are even millionaires, so you would end up with even more of the well off running the country whilst blocking those who have had the experience of knowing what it's like to be poor having no chance to represent people.
A Much better idea is to prevent anyone with a Eton, Oxford, Cambridge background from being an MP.  Unfair ? I don't think so as they have had many more MP's coming from that background as a percentage measured against any other educational establishment in the country.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AndyH
What about an MP in Scotland? Surely you can't expect them to commute daily to London?

I would expect them to move, instead of claiming a second home etc.
Community Veteran

But if they moved, how could they run their constituency office and meet their constituents?
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles

A Much better idea is to prevent anyone with a Eton, Oxford, Cambridge background from being an MP.  Unfair ? I don't think so as they have had many more MP's coming from that background as a percentage measured against any other educational establishment in the country.

Why would you want to ban anyone from standing as an MP. You, me and most other people can stand for election as an MP. If we get the most votes we will get elected.
The thing that is forgotten when criticising the background of MPs is that they stand against other candidates and win. I guess if you want to blame anybody you must blame the voters for electing them Wink
Community Veteran

What if they were from a working class background and went to Oxford or Cambridge? You wouldn't allow them to become an MP because they are intelligent?
Community Veteran

Quote from: chrcoluk
 25k on benefits? yes if you believe the trash daily mail or the sun with their stories using actresses posing as benefit claimants.
***You seem to think £25k is high for property rental in London. Talk to some estate agents as I do and they will confirm it is not and until recently they were renting at these prices to benefit claimants. I stress not all but many were getting £12-15k a year.
#1 an individual can only spend so much money, a millionaire e.g. will only use so much electric, only eat so much food and only pay so much tax.  the same money spread across more people  means more money circulating in the economy, its not rocket science.  In recessions during periods of high unemployment, the social security system most definitely helps the economy, as it means more people are spending money on food, electric etc. instead of dying of hunger. taxation and social security is "enforced circulation of money".
*** If an individual works hard and becomes a millionaire are you suggesting he isn't able to keep the benefits of his labour?

#3 I am not going to be specific
*** Please do as I can't think of any examples. Be specific instead of just throwing wild statements about.
Not to forget that the DWP isnt here to save money its purpose is to provide a social wide safety net, not to save money for the well off.  Some people seem to have forgotten that and the importance of such a safety net.  
*** I agree with you that we have to provide a safety net for those in need.  Unfortunately some people see a safety net as a way of life and that is wrong.
janitor
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH

What if they were from a working class background and went to Oxford or Cambridge? You wouldn't allow them to become an MP because they are intelligent?

The problem is most of the MPs are professional politicians, they haven't done a proper days work in their lives, that goes for all three of the main parties,that's the blue Tories the red Tories and we will agree to anything as long as it gives us a little power. Yellow Tories.
Community Veteran

But doing a 'proper day's work' doesn't mean you'll be a good politician. There are many back benchers who have had previous careers before becoming MPs. Some have done manual labour - have a look at Dave Anderson, he was a coal miner before becoming a Labour MP.
If it was such a lucrative job, surely hundreds of thousands of people would want to become an MP?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

But you are unable to dispute my original statement that more MP's have an Oxford, Cambridge,Eton background than MP's than the total coming from any other educational background, does this not appear odd ?
If you look at the behaviour and attitude of some of the people attending these educational establishments it appears to me that those who come from a weathly background are lead to believe they are more intellegent and superior to the rest of us. You have only to consider how most of them are totally detatched from the real world or to quote the press..."They still don't get it"
By having a number of people coming from the same educational establishment is there not a danger that they are more inclined to appoint those they know? Or appoint them because of who they know.
Community Veteran

But you are unable to dispute my original statement that more MP's have an Oxford, Cambridge,Eton background than MP's than the total coming from any other educational background, does this not appear odd ?

Oxford and Cambridge are our top two universities in the UK and two of the best in the world. You can't buy your way in to study there, you need to have the best grades (having straight As is not enough) and be in the academically elite.
By having a number of people coming from the same educational establishment is there not a danger that they are more inclined to appoint those they know? Or appoint them because of who they know.

I'm not sure of the number of MPs, in terms of a percentage, that studied at Oxbridge, but I would be surprised if it's higher than 30%. You're probably only looking at the Cameron's front bench/close friends.
You need to also remember that MPs are voted by the general public. So going to a private school/Oxbridge/being a friend of Cameron is by no means an automatic ticket to being an MP.
Edit: I found the breakdown:
How representative of the population are MPs?
Despite increases in the ethnic diversity of MPs, the number of women and a fall in the average age, the ‘population’ of the House of Commons remains very different to the UK population it serves.
Some of the most marked differences between the UK population and MPs are seen in education.  90% of MPs are university graduates, compared with 20% across the adult population.  Over a quarter of MPs went to Oxford or Cambridge.
More than one-third of MPs elected in 2010 attended fee paying schools (including twenty Old Etonians), compared with less than 10% of the adult population.
The House of Commons is more reflective of the population it represents than ever before.  However, it remains the case that more than 400 MPs, 62% of the total, are white men aged over 40.
Community Veteran

the public generally vote for a party, who picks the party candidate?
in regards to travelling to scotland and back, but the reality is a typical job would require the person to either relocate or cover the cots out of the salary,