cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Greece and the EU

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Greece and the EU

Greek MP's have voted for a 4.3 billions round of pension cuts for more money from the EU.

I wonder how many Greeks think that being a member of the EU is in their interests. ?

8 REPLIES
Alparrot

Re: Greece and the EU

The Greeks only have themselves to blame.  The national pastime from my experience living there is to avoid paying taxes by any means possible.  Organisation is shambolic - for example where lived you had to beg to get a water bill.  I know people who have not paid a water bill for years and years.

Until recently the pensions were some of the most generous in Europe...... 

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

When the Greek crisis started it was reported that the retirement age was 50.  Perhaps increasing it to 60 might help.

I've never understood why they don't try to attract more foreign tourists by offering cheaper holidays.  I don't know anyone who's been to Greece since the crisis started.

Community Veteran

Greek holidays died with the drachma.

Community Veteran

Jonpe wrote:

I've never understood why they don't try to attract more foreign tourists by offering cheaper holidays.

Are you crazy? Then they'd have to work! Serving drinks in a bar, working as waiters... etc etc.

Why on earth should they do that when they can just demand money from the EU and remind them that the UK will ultimately foot the bill?

As far as they're concerned they've got the easy life.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Alparrot

Greek holidays died when proprietors thought that they could charge 2017 prices for accommodation that hadn't been modernised since the 70's.  

Community Veteran

But it can't go on.

What is the next step will they be forced to leave the EU ?

Are they the only other member of the EU that is sinking further into debt and relying on more loans to support them.

Community Veteran

Yes give them the boot and be done with it.

I'm sorry that sounds harsh but this is a country that has a morally rotten nation of mick takers. It isn't just the political leaders like most countries its the nation of people who hold a belief that tax and work is below them and everyone else should keep them afloat to continue living the easy life.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Hey Greeks, you haven't done any philosophising since Aristotle, time to get a proper job!