cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great put down’s

randpwar
Grafter

Great put down’s

Just read in the Grauniad that Otto Preminger said to Kim Cattrall ‘You remind me of Marilyn Monroe – not in looks of course, but in lack of talent’. Not terribly nice of course and naturally I would never condone sarcastic put down’s, but I did think it was funny.
Anyone know any better ones? 
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Great put down’s

Oh yes! (although I think I've posted this before) Conductor Sir Adrian Boult (a great wit as well as a musician) brought the rehearsing orchestra to a ragged stop, sighed deeply, leaned on his music stand and pointed his baton at a second row lady cellist and said "madam, what you have between your legs has brought great enjoyment to men for many many years but, all you can do is scratch it"
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Winston Churchill was full of them.  Two famous ones:
    Nancy Astor - You're drunk.
    Churchill - And you're ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober.
    Nancy Astor - If you were my husband, I would poison your tea.
    Churchill - Madam, if you were my wife, I'd drink it.
Grin Grin
Community Veteran

Noel Coward
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

If you've never been there then this site is great: http://www.siglets.com
When I first visited it in my teens I was almost sick I laughed so much  Shocked
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Mark Twain
I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it.
Javert
Grafter

A well-known actress was rehearsing a musical version of Noel Coward’s “Blithe Spirit” - which was directed by the great man himself.  At one point the actress had to speak one of his best lines; he was sitting in the auditorium watching the rehearsal. She called out to him that she didn’t think the line worked very well.  He replied from the darkness of the auditorium: “Perfectly good line, darling, perfectly good line.  You might even get a laugh on it if you didn’t walk across the stage like a camel with piles whilst you’re saying it.”
Community Veteran

This thread deserves to be Google free. But I couldn't resist looking; there are some wonderful classics here: http://www.bertc.com/subfour/truth/putdowns.htm
Edit: and here: http://www.corsinet.com/braincandy/insult.html

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
thejudge
Grafter

A sort of group put-down this.
Some of you may remember a woman called Pia Zadora. She was a model, actress and singer, and equally talentless at all of them.
Someone had the bright idea of casting her in the lead role in a stage production of The Diary Of Anne Frank.
On the first night, near the end, when the Nazi stormtroopers break down the door of the Frank's house, the audience with one voice shouted:
"She's in the attic!"
Community Veteran

Wonderful Grin Grin Grin

randpwar
Grafter

@ thejudge Thank you  Grin, you’ve cheered me up no end on a perfectly miserable, wet, cold day with that one
thisoldman
Grafter

Glasgow's favourite one.
"Its not that you are stupid that bothers me, its rather,you dont seem to know how f stupid you really are"