cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great Sunsets

Community Veteran

Great Sunsets

Thought I'd post some pics of the great sunsets we've been enjoying this week on the West Coast of Florida.  Our Beach now rivals The Keys for the best sunsets in the world.  One thing we haven't had so far this month is a green flash but there's time for one before I go home. Smiley
Unfortunately no sunset tonight.  We are just tracking a thunderstorm going through.
46 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Great Sunsets

Here's a bit about the green flash I mentioned in the previous post.
Green Flash
The bird in the last pic is Charlie.  He likes standing in the road to block traffic Wink
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): URL tag fixed.]
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Why go to Yankee Land, photos over Cardigan bay from my hotel bedoom at the Queebert

Coastguard hut in forground
Community Veteran

Thanks Thomas.
Yesterday's storm caused a bit of damage but we're all back to normal this morning and I'm just leaving for the tennis club before it gets too hot to play.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

who is Thomas?
Got he answer, it is an idiosyncrasy with the forum, click unread posts and it doesnt show you edits, and also Be3 post was in green to match the subject
David_W
Rising Star

That's some pretty nice images.  I'm looking for a hobby and as a kid I used to enjoy running around with a camera so I'm considering taking it up again.  I don't want to go the DSLR route though too expensive, and my iPhone is quite terrible at pictures, let me find an example.  I now want to get a camera and take photos of sunsets and maybe sun rises! Luckily I live at the ocean, I just need to convince the sun to set in the north........
pierre_pierre
Grafter

To take sunsets you need a camera that has an adaptive scene program, all those of mine above were taken within minutes at the same place with different settings, the lightest one is a straight take any time pic and doesnt set off the sunset nicely, you dont have to spend a large amount, but if you want sunsets, check that it isnt just a point and shoot.
David_W
Rising Star

I've been looking at the Panasonic Lumix FS10 which seems decent.  I've been reading up on JPG vs RAW too and the FS10 doesn't support RAW so maybe that's only available on more expensive cameras?  I'd like to be able to take photos, come home and work my way through Photoshop.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you have to seriously into protograph if you want to use raw.  The file sizes are huge, I have been though a right mix of Cameras of the digital variety, all producing JPG.  My current is a Canon A640 with a damaged battery holder flap (but holding on) and a newer Cannon A650, bought new at a hefty end of range discount.  Both have a full program & video, the A650 can be made to run in raw mode.  The main reason I wanted it is being devious they both have a flip out and rotate LCD screen - can take pictures of people while looking the other way
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another of my cardigan bay pics, shut right down
Steve
Seasoned Pro

All the sunset's pic's in this thread are truly beautiful Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

The A650, whats the battery life like on it?  I can get a Canon Powershot A650 IS with lots of options for around £185, things like Canon LA-DC58J Lens Adaptor, but I can't find any reference to how long batteries last in real world tests, be a pain to have to carry around 50 batteries with me Shocked
pierre_pierre
Grafter

some others first Southern Italy 1991 , Fuji 35 mm film
same place 92 a simple waterproof
93 BX2 interchangeable lens 93
93 Fuji insta 93
My one lasts about 100 plus shots on 4 rechargeables
Community Veteran

Quote from: dgwebb
That's some pretty nice images.  I'm looking for a hobby and as a kid I used to enjoy running around with a camera so I'm considering taking it up again.  I don't want to go the DSLR route though too expensive, and my iPhone is quite terrible at pictures, let me find an example.  I now want to get a camera and take photos of sunsets and maybe sun rises! Luckily I live at the ocean, I just need to convince the sun to set in the north........

I use a very basic Nikon Coolpix 2500 which I've had for a few years.  Bought it for around $100 with all the extras. Does what I need as you can see. 
There are a few serious photographers on the forums and I'm sure they will be along to offer help in selecting a camera.
David_W
Rising Star

I went for the A650 IS in the end, it looks like a capable camera and with all the extras seemed like a good starting point.  I'll have a play around with it when it arrives and see if I can find some good shots, though I'm probably the least artistic person on the planet.