Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great Dad, rotten Son.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Great Dad, rotten Son.

What the heck was this boy thinking?

His Dad gives him over one and a half million quid from his lottery winning, he spends it all in two years and then has the bare faced cheek to take him to court in order to get more.

Really, you couldn't make it up - or am I on my own with this?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/18/lottery-millionaires-son-spent-16m-then-sued-his-fat...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
34 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Great Dad, rotten Son.

Greed from a self entitled son.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Typical I would say in this day.
A few years ago, (OK over 25 now) the people across the road from my (now) wife won the lottery, they went mad, spending/spending/spending. A couple of years later they were back were they left off, just POORER now. (having spent everything)

People aren't used to having large amounts of cash, their first impulse is to buy something. Rather than seek out a financial advisor.
Community Veteran

HairyMcbiker wrote:
People aren't used to having large amounts of cash, their first impulse is to buy something.

I guess I would do the same.

But it would soon wear off and I would never expect anyone to bale me out for being foolish.

My Dad never did. If I spent my whole sixpence and wanted something else I would have to wait until the following week.Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

That many years back I don't suppose they offered such things as financial advisers although I guess they do now, but this son of his is something else.

Me? I'd make my kids 'comfortable' by paying off their mortgages or whatever but I would never ever give them that sort dosh, it's just asking for trouble - as this story only goes to show. 

Let 'em wait till I'm pushing up the daisies and then they can have the lot.... if I've not given it away first.  

Wife to husband: "But what about all those begging letters?" Husband: "Don't worry about it, we'll just keep sending 'em"

The old ones are the best Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 125

I I was to win a huge amount on the lottery no way would I indulge my daughter with huge sums. I would give her enough to treat herself and set herself up with a nice home but she would still need to learn/keep hold of the value of money. Anything left I after I am gone would be split between SWMBO and her anyway so she won't lose out.

billnotben wrote:

My Dad never did. If I spent my whole sixpence and wanted something else I would have to wait until the following week.Smiley

Same. Except I got a schilling of which thruppence went to savings for holiday spending and thruppence went to presents savings (Xmas, etc.)

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Fully agree with all of the previous comments.

Why do some parents not stop and think of the damage they are doing to their children by giving them all they ask for ?

Even when it comes to simple things like meals it's totally inappropriate for parents to be asking them what they want to eat every time, burgers, chips, kfc and the rest are likely to be the usual answers.

By all means children should be given the choice a few times but not the whole time.

Being a parent is not always easy as anyone with children knows but they will not always be children they have to face the world and the world will not cater to their every demand.

Minivanman
Hero

I used to tell mine they were living in a benign dictatorship not a democracy so shut up, sit up, and ask before leaving the table. We never forced them to clean their plates of food recognising that even kids have likes and dislikes - but we did make them stay where they were until everybody else had finished eating. All that up and down at the table malarkey drives me crackers.

My son still does not like eating garden peas, one daughter will still not touch baked beans, and another will not go near a piece of fish even if her life depended on it. As for my fourth, a proper dustbin she'd eat anything you put in front of her - and for those table manners, well the grandchildren are made to follow the same pattern so we must have got something right! 

I'd still not give any of 'em millions though. Smiley

My favourite response when my daughter asked if she "can leave the table" was "Yes, you can. No, you may not"Wink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Fixes: 47

I like to keep another of the kids' phrases handy when they want to borrow some money.

"I haven't got none"

But they know that Dad is the cheapest payday lender they are going to find.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

Ahhh, but if if you haven't got none then you must have someWink

Since I pointed out their double negative error a while back it doesn't work.

I should have left them in blissful ignorance and reaped the rewards.

Tie 'em up with "I ain't not got nothin'"Cheesy

Minivanman
Hero

@Strat

Borrow? You mean you got it back? Wink

Never see my kids go short where there is a need and like my old Dad did with me, unasked I'll slip 'em a couple of bob every now and then if we are going down the pub or out for a meal. Apart from a heavy hand when we deserved it, he really was generous to a fault. 

Mrs Mininvanman will also pick up the tab at the supermarket when she is out with them..... as long as they are not doing a weekly mega food shop - we are not that daft!

Minivanman wrote:

@Strat

Borrow? You mean you got it back? Wink

Yes, I know it sounds improbable but mostly yes Shocked